Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a 95 xlt with slp pipes. now i have a 96 ultra with a stock pipe. i was wondering if the pipes will fit, if i would gain with them.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I wouldn't do it. 2 completely different engines. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

·
Registered
666 Posts
yeah, whats more important to you, a 700 dollar set of pipes or a 1300 dollar motor

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was just trying to get some info from other people. so far it is half and half, some say i will gain and i could do it but i just have to keep an eye on my jetting and others just say not to do it wiht no reason other then "there totaly different motors" i am sure that i could put them on and with proper jetting i would be ok, but it would not be gaining as much as i would be if i put on the pipes that should be on. but anyway i have a set of pipes comeing so it doesent matter anymore. thanks for the input

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
It could be a miserable mistake. The reason is a pipes is designed mathematically to correspond to the speed of the pressure waves within them. The total length of the pipes determines what RPM the pipe is tuned for. Many XLT's were tuned for over 9000 RPM. The Ultra on the other hand was never tuned above 9000 RPM by an aftermarket company. But the other concerns are operating temperature and port timing. The Ultra was a case reed motor, which makes it very different from the XLT. I'm not sure how the port timing compares. And this is key when you try to make power. Because if the pressure waves don't show up at the right time, you end up with less charge in the cylinder, which equates to less power. This is also where operating temperature shows up. Operating temp determines how fast the pressure waves travel. So, if you are off by quite a bit you will again have pressure waves showing up at the wrong times and be making less power than if you had Ultra pipes, in some cases you could make less power than stock, because you wouldn't be able to run a high enough RPM without destroying the motor. This would happen when the pressure waves arrive late and the charge is insuffiecient.

As far as your jetting question, yes you can do that, however it still will not garauntee that you make more power, it just ensures you won't burn it down. Very possible that the pipes work well like this and you gain several hp but again it will be a fraction of the true potential that that Ultra motor can have.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br].............The reason is a pipes is designed mathematically to correspond .....
..Blah Blah Blah Blah....
.............. fraction of the true potential that that Ultra motor can have.
[:D] Ya...who cares...it will be Loud..[:D][:p][:p][:p]

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Originally posted by JkuberaP
[br]i was just trying to get some info from other people. so far it is half and half, some say i will gain and i could do it but i just have to keep an eye on my jetting and others just say not to do it wiht no reason other then "there totaly different motors" i am sure that i could put them on and with proper jetting i would be ok, but it would not be gaining as much as i would be if i put on the pipes that should be on. but anyway i have a set of pipes comeing so it doesent matter anymore. thanks for the input
Go for it. Just don't ride alone. You'll need someone to tow you back.[;)]

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]
[br].............The reason is a pipes is designed mathematically to correspond .....
Newbe, hehehe[^]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know a lot about sleds. even if people told me it would be ok i wasent going to put them on. i have a set for the sled. just wanted to see what kind of anwsers i would get

hahaha, averagebe

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Originally posted by JkuberaP
[br]i know a lot about sleds. even if people told me it would be ok i wasent going to put them on. i have a set for the sled. just wanted to see what kind of anwsers i would get

hahaha, averagebe
I can live with that. hehehe[:D]
Don't let the name or numbers fool ya, been here a lot longer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya so have i. i useually never post or reply to anything i just gather all the information form everyone else. i just like posting random things to see what people relly think;) some of it is intesting and funny

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]
Louder is not always better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is a great site. i like it the best out of all of them. jsut a few ppl on here need to grow up some

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
It's never going to be perfect. I do get a good laugh from time to time. Not that I'm perfect by any means. This is a great site and I recommend It whenever I can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts