Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at purchasing a '97 XCR 600 triple that my neighbour is hangin onto. The sled is in good shape with 3000 miles on it, and I can pick it up for a good price. I should also add that he is a phenomenal mechanic, and he just recently went through the engine and did the rings and bearings. Anyways, a couple people have told me that it would be wise to stay away from the XLT triples for various reasons, so I'm looking for a few other opinions. Any advice I can get will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Well if that is a triple pipe engine it is not the same as the XLT. I believe that is the triple piped engine. I am thinking the XCR became all Agressive chassis in 97. Anyone back me up on that? If it is an agressive chassis XCR then it will be heavy. They have great top end and can still be fun but are just heavy. I found my 96 XCR 600 SP had a dead spot around I think 3000 RPMs where it was just a dog until it reach like 5000. Was really annoying on the trails but when you learned where ti was and how to control it it wasn't so bad. http://www.polarisman.com/Index.cfm?Page=DisplayModel&ModelID=97SNOINDYXCR600&PLine=SNO&Year=1997 Yeah that is a triple cylinder triple pipe machine. IT is not the same engine as the XLT. The XLT has a mono block engine this sled does not. I named the problems with this sled. Personally I like the looks of it but the Xtra - 10 isn't exactly a plush rider.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok,
If its a '97 XC 600 = Xlt motor with bigger carbs and different clutch setup
If its a "97 XCR 600 = Totaly different Tripple Tripple

If you know what it looks like, go check out Polarismans website. All sled listings and pics for all. Go look and tell us what it is.

There are alot of XLT fans and alot of XLT haters. This site has alot of XLT fans and owners. There should be someone on here that can give ya some insite.

Personaly, i have always liked the XLT's. I know a big guy, over 300lb's, that drove a 93 XLT to its limits. He had clutch hit, monster loud tripple pipes. And he was always at the front of the pack on the the trails. He road that thing to hell and back. And it NEVER EVER left him walking. He was a mechanic yes, but he beat the hell out if it plain and simple. It had over 10,000 miles when he quit riding it. Its hard to believe but... yes it was a good sled.

My uncle has a 95 XLT and he lets that thing sit out all summer and winter, never does a damn thing to it. Just got a clean the carbs (no stable, lol) in the fall. And that thing runs like a bute. Light for a tripple too.

These two examples are a bit different from your XCR issue. BTW are you sure its not a '96. Cuz that was the last year of the XLT engine in XCR.

There are arguments for and Against it... just like there is for every sled. Personaly, i like the twins. Just new technology thats all.
Just my .02 take it for what its worth

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a 97 XCR 600 se. It is the case reed triple/triple. It is a heavy beast for sure, but is one of the best cruising sleds I ever had. You know how heavy it is when your hammering through the woods in the twisties, but on a lake or wide open trials, it is super stable. My question to you is why did this guy replace the rings and bearing at only 3000 miles? Sounds like he hurt the engine somehow, because you sure dont have to replace rings and bearings after 3000 miles. I would check it over pretty good, to see if the thing was beat. Check the suspension for wear and tear, shocks, any cracks in the rear bars, track condition etc... If your looking for a ditch banger, this is not the sled. If you want a smooth performing triple, with a little tweeking and clutching, you'll be right next any new 600 twin out there. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion guys, but it is indeed a '96 XCR. So the engine would be the 580 monobloc XLT motor with no factory pipes right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but the 96 XCR 600. With the Wedge Chassis IS NOT the 580. I believe it is a 600. Or 597 if you prefer exactness. Anyhow, the 96 should indeed be the Mono Block 600 XLT engine

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well, I've got a 97 XLT SP (597cc monoblock) and have had no problems with it. It's been very reliable, plenty of power, and has been a blast to ride. It's got 6000 miles on it now, so I'll be rebuilding the motor before this season starts....just for insurance sake. But I've really enjoyed this sled and have found it to be "rock solid". This is of course only my opinion and experience with this specific sled.

The only real trouble that I've heard these sleds had was not getting enough oil to the crank bearing on the pto side. It seems though if you slightly enlarge the oil hole in the case, it solves the problem.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts