Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity I was over on partsland.com comparing the 97 XLT sp to the 97 XC 600. I knew the XC had the Xtra-10 and the XLT had the Xtra-12, other than that the only other difference I could find was the primary clutch spring. Gold in the XLT and dark blue/white in the XC. Interesting that the secondary on the XC didn't have a more aggressive set-up with a stiffer spring and steeper, progressive helix. Secondary set-ups and gearing were the same for both sleds. I have never ridden a 97 XC 600- were they much snappier than the XLT with just the stiffer primary?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I thought thay had different engines, they did in 98 but maybe they were the same in 97

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Originally posted by torkerob
[br]I thought thay had different engines, they did in 98 but maybe they were the same in 97
'97 the XC was the 600 triple. There wasn't a twin 600 until '98.

I beleive that the XC had bigger carbs, too. I don't think that they would be much more snappy than the XLT.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both sleds had the same engine- high-port 597 monoblock triple with the 38mm carbs.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 97 special was one of the best wedge models polaris made. I have 5900 miles on mine and it has been absolutely trouble-free other than normal wear items like hyfax, belts, and carbides. I would find out a little more about the sled you're looking at mainly because of the mileage. 7000 miles is getting up there- I would find out if those are original miles or if the motor has been rebuilt before. I'm sure someone will tell you to stay clear of this sled because the crank bearings are about to go. Some of the monoblock triples polaris made had a case defect that didn't allow the pto side bearing to get enough oil. However, those that had that defect usually failed early on within a few thousand miles. If this sled has 7000 original miles its probably a good one, however, it will need a rebuild at some point. I've heard of some of these XLT motors going 10,000 miles or more before rebuilding. The price seems a little high for the mileage- depending on the condition of the sled you should be able to get it for $1000 or so. There are a few others on this site that have this sled and I've heard nothing but good from them- it's a great sled! Good luck.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I payed $1600 for mine and it only had 1200 miles on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 96 XLT sp and loved it. Over 5000 miles before getting rid of it in '02 for an '01 600 XCsp. Belts would last for 1500+ miles, just a good solid sled, I knew quite a few guys who had them and very few bad stories from them. If the motor has been rebuilt by someone who knows what they were doing and the chassis is straight I wouldn't be afraid of it. If it were a larger rider (230 + lbs) I would look at the A-Arm on the rear skid for cracks as that was the weak point of the rear suspension.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Im not sure, so dont exactly hold me to this, but i thought the xc was reed inducted and the xlt was piston port.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the 97 xlt and xc have same motor piston port the xcr has a case reed and weighs about 60 lbs more in the agrssive chasis. 2 motors in the 97 xlt both monoblock one is the 03 and 1 is the 04 with a double bearing on the pto side (the side with the small oiler , this issue was also adressed in the late production 97 597's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts