Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, need some help. I need some one with a sled that has the xtra 10 in the front, to measure the length of the radius rods from -center of bolt to center of bolt-. If any one can do this for me it would be greatly appreciated.[thumb] having issues with mine and in starting to get frustrated. thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
Ok guys, need some help. I need some one with a sled that has the xtra 10 in the front, to measure the length of the radius rods from -center of bolt to center of bolt-. If any one can do this for me it would be greatly appreciated.[thumb] having issues with mine and in starting to get frustrated. thanks again guys!!
upper or lower
??????????????????

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both sorry

·
Registered
192 Posts
When its off the ground, grease zirc to zirc is 41" (centre to centre) then take the ski's off and run the same size rod from spindle to spindle through the hole to set camber/caster.
set steering by useing a bunge cord on the ski loops to add preasure and then make measurements with a straight edge so they are the same, when you take off the bunge you will have the right toe out.

201010512313846_7340.jpg

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input on setting toe but i just need to know the length of the rods. From the center of the tie rod end bolted to the bulk head - to the bushing on the IFS bar. I bought the rods from a guy that said they came off a xcr with the xtra 10. So i guess it is possible they might be the wrong rods but the rod itself with out the end screwed it measures 17 1/4". The rods that came off my sled are much shorter than this so that is why i figured they are the right ones.

·
Registered
192 Posts
my extra 10 is "CRC" so the uppers for sure will be different, but the lowers i believe with the "eye" threaded all the way in to the centre of bushing for the lower was 19", and the uppers were 15". again that is for a "CRC" setup.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shreddy said:
my extra 10 is "CRC" so the uppers for sure will be different, but the lowers i believe with the "eye" threaded all the way in to the centre of bushing for the lower was 19", and the uppers were 15". again that is for a "CRC" setup.
Cool thanks shreddy. ill start with that and see. if any one with a non crc x-10 could measure their rods for me that would be great. [thumb][thumb]

One other thing, isnt the spindles of an x-10 supposed to be longer? The ones i got are the same length as the ones that came off my 88 indy. Really starten to think i dont have the right parts.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to be clear, this is the setup im looking for right?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/rvs/1972840517.html

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
^Yes, but those are CRC radius rods.

And xtra10 spindles are only a little bit taller, if at all. The extra 10 spindles have a base that is "knuckled" rearward. Post a picture of the spindles you got and I'll tell you if it's x-10 or the standard 8

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok heres the spindle. if you need i can pull it out and take a pic. And a pic of one of the radius rods. its one of the uppers. Thanks polaris parts mn
2010107171054375_30823.jpg
2010107171126921_30823.jpg
2010107171158296_30823.jpg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Ok yeah, those aren't xtra-10 spindles. Those are the old-style 8-inch spindles. Here's some comparison pics:

old style 8-inch spindle
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-FRONT-SPINDLE-5130919-1993-XLT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58889162d4QQitemZ380248351444QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

new style 8-inch spindles
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-STORM-800-OEM-Ski-Spindles-30B54A-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255975706dQQitemZ160414658669QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

xtra-10 spindle:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-xc-right-side-trailing-arm-t-arm-ski-spindle-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adc29809cQQitemZ390240764060QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You can see how the bottom of the x-10 spindles "curl" towards the rear. In other words, the location of the ski bolt hole isn't on the axis of the spindle shaft, it's offset to the rear

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok then what about the rod iv got pictured. Is it a crc rod or no?
this is an x-10 spindle right? just a better pic
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-XC-SP-1999-SKI-SPINDLE-XC-10-PRO-X-EDGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5180831b25QQitemZ350048426789QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Your rods aren't CRC because they are equal in length. CRC rods have a much shorter top rod.
THe ebay link you have is an x-10, however I think $35 for just one is a little high. $50 for a pair should be the going rate for them

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool again thanks for all the info. So if i have the right rods then why is it i cant get them to the right length without the end falling out? Hens the reason i want to know how long they are on someones sled.

I dont konw, maybe im not smart enough!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
K, not sure what you mean about the ends falling out.. but heres a couple things to try.
I notice that you are useing the original trailing arms, i have heard of people useing them... but the x10 are longer.
when i mounted mine i threaded the 4 all the way in and mounted everything including shocks with out the spring.
take measurements from both sides at different locations to make sure they are the same, you need your starting point to be equal.
then start turning all the rods 3 to 4 turns each and remount everything. keep doing this untill the grease zircs are 41" with it in the air.
you need to have the shocks mounted and fully extended when measureing, as they create the "arc" of the suspension. your travel should be 9.5 inches... but the shaft on the shock is only 6-7 i think. its the radius of the arc they are measureing. now this is only a starting point, as all the final adjustment needs to be made.
now with that said, when i first tried to mount mine, the original suspension worked and fit fine, but when i tried to mount the right side would come no were near bolting up because the foot well was damaged,
so i had to pop all the rivets and hammer it flat again. yours from the pics looks pretty clean, but even the smallest "tweak" will be exagerated buy the time it gets to the end of the arm.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^See thats what i mean! It never even crossed my mind to do that. Thanks a bunch again guys. youv been a great help.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so dose a 1997 xcr 600 with the aggressive chassis have the standard x-10 or crc x-10?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
that has CRC

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dam. ok how can i tell if a set of arms is crc or standard?
What are these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-XCR-600-700-800-Right-Left-trailing-arm-/130438465842?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5ebd0932

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
CRC and non CRC in trailing arms are so similar to each other that you cant tell them apart and you can use either, it doesn't matter. The only place CRC is factored in are the radius rods.
These rods are CRC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-XCR-800-CRC-FRONT-SUSPENSION-RADIUS-RODS-/380271220516?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5889ee5724
It is easy spot a CRC pair of radius rods, so you know those are ones you shouldn't buy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts