Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got an 96 indy trail and I shortened the limiter straps to have more ski pressure but now I find that its resting a bit low on the front and the rear susp work like shit.

I'd like to know what is the length of the original front suspension shocks and if the front suspension arms are supposed to ride inside the belly pan or stick out more a bit like the newer sleds.

I'd like to raise the front a inch or so. On forums I heard about taller front spindles. To raise the front a bit would I be better off with longer shocks, or changing to taller spindles and If yes what machine from polaris would have those parts?

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Sounds like you may need to get new shocks in the rear or rebuild them if possible. Then you may also have a front end that is sagging quite a bit too. Weak springs and bad shocks will make the front end sit low.

The taller spindles will make it sit only about 1" higher in the front. I did that when I changed to plastic skis to make up for the lower mounting point on the saddle of the plastic ski. Dramatic differnce? Not really.

Try to find a sled with an x10 or x12 front end and get the spindles. Those will have an extra 1" collar on it down on the shaft. You'll be able to see it easily.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad I got a 96. I think i'll find some spindles and at the same time I remember i have ski doo's shock's in my parts bin. maybe they are a bit longer.

Too bad it sits so low. I went in the powder last month and the sled would pass thru because of the 136 track and loose limiter straps. But I felt it was really dragging and diving into the front. More flotation and clearance would be welcome.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's fixed now. Went thru all the suspension. Front to back. Here is what I did.

I removed the rear susp. Took off the scissor springs and noticed alot of wear on the plastic bushings where the spring glides on the rails, So I switched them from side to side.
The sleeve where that same spring goes on the rear shaft was pretty worn too. I noticed the spring was too angled away to work properly. I had a plastic tube lying around for electric wiring and I wondered?
I cutted it to length and placed it over the stock sleeves.

I also had a seized front shaft. I repainted with gloss black and regreased everything.

For the front IFS I Went to buy longer used shocks but they were way too long or as rusted as mines. :(
I finally decided to make drop brackets for the shocks. I needed a inch and a half more so I made a template with the hole for the shock and the two holes on the frame. I took a 2 inch by 14 inch flat bar that I got for free and I press drilled my pattern then cut to proper length. Bolted it up with grade 5 bolts with nylon and lock washers.

I had to readjust the toe but by the time I finished there were no more snow. Would have liked to take it for a ride.

Now I can use most of the travel of the front skid. (limiter straps are almost full out)

But now I have another problem. My windshield is now too tall for me to see and I need a shorter one!

· Registered
564 Posts
I put the heavy duty rear springs in my 97 indy, it holds the snow so much better. The difference was night and day. As for the windshields I wait till I roll my sled to get a new one!

· Registered
1,047 Posts
Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

Raises the front bumper about 1.5 inches if you relocate the lower mounting bolt as shown. Use a set of shocks off an older, F-2000 chassis, ski-doo to gain another 1.5 inches and you end up with this.

Vehicle Snowmobile Sled Winter sport Motorsport

Stock rear 10" in the original mounting holes, home made brackets and ski-doo shocks up front with the shorter style spindles.

Attachments

· Registered
564 Posts
What did that do for your handling and ride? I like how the front end of my Indy sits lowers for running the trails

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.