Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading to an xtra 10 on my '89 Indy 650. I remember reading about it somewhere and it not being too difficult. Has anyone here done it? Want to share some advice?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Welcome to the Forum MaxPower,

I havent personally done the swap yet, a buddy of mine has. However here is a link with all the info you need.

http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/project/indy/indyprj.html#indytoc

If the link doesnt work just copy and paste it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You need to find a sled with the same chassis as yours (wedge, evolved, etc.)that has an Xtra-10 installed. Then measure the distance from the drive shaft to the first mouuting hole. You will need to drill mounting holes at that location in your sled, and new ones for the rear as well. You may have to fabricate new rear mounting brackets, I did for my 95 Indy 500 (evolved chassis). Try to get a 99 or later Xtra-10, they have a better rail profile and the PPS shock, which is a must for trail riding. Then you will have a real suspension in your sled.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
xltman who is a moderator here also put XTRA-10 front and rear suspensions on his (I do believe it is a) 1993 XLT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought you couldn't put the Xtra-10 front on the older sleds because the bulkheads are different. The ones with CRC are for sure. If there is a way to do it without swapping the bulkhead I would sure like to know about it. I am putting fox shocks on my sled for a summer project, but they are just replacements for the dead nitrex stock shocks, no changes to the suspension.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i am still lurking in the shadows, u know like creeping death.....hehe, anyways, xtra 10 swap isnt that difficult, just alot of damn measiring, mine came off a 96 xcr, and as p-man stated i did indeed put the front on as well, it will go right in, i dont believe(or at least my opinion) polaris didnt make many changes to the bulkheads until the evolved chassis. shock on the xcr front wear identical length etc to what i have on the xlt. however, there may be some minor adjustments need to give it a better handle. i really didnt get a chance to test mine until this last season, and after a whole year (of very little snow) i didnt really like the front setup. therefore i put the old front back under my xlt. as for the rear, i measured both sleds from the drive shaft back, and found that the tunnels were equal lenght, so i just measure all the mounts on the xcr,then put those maks under the xlt, removed the mounts off the xcr and swapped over to the xlt, i did find some slight modifacations have to be made to accomodate the heat exchangers. but no biggie. i am completely happy with the rears set up, except for the fact i busted a swing arm this season. good luck

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Can you put a Fox PPS shock on an xtra-12 rear suspension? The 2000 45th anniversary 700 XC had them but my 2000 45th 600XC didn't.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 45th anniversary 700, I thought had an electronic adjustable shock?? I doubt there is a PPS shock made for the Xtra12, the PPS out of an Xtra10 or EDGE probably wont fit the 12.

Any Xtra10 should fit any Indy. I put my Xtra10 out of my Wedge XC into my dad's Evolved Indy Trail with no problem. The important measurements are from the drive axle to the front mounting hole, and the distance between holes. The rear arm does need to be compressed some when it is mounted. I messed up at first and it was fully extended and therefore wouldn't compress at all.

The difference is night and day between an Xtra10 and the old suspensions. The Indy Trail is actually rideable now, and is very comfortable...

I'm working on getting and EDGE rear skid for my Wedge XC now, so I can be really setup...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I put and x-tra10 in my '89 650..Measure, measure, then measure again, then finally drill.. it's pretty easy.. that link at off-road.com is an excellent resource... your tunnel ends up looking like a bit of a cheese grator.. but it's well worth it in my opinion..

·
Registered
750 Posts
i still dont understand why many people dont upgrade thier front suspension to xrta 10 like the rear. i have a 1991 indy 500. that i put an xtra 10 sks skid from a 1996 ultra sks. and i also installed the front xtra 10 suspension. the only mods you have to make are, cutting out the rear edge of the steering hole openings through the bulk head. and take the old tie rod ends, and use them with the new rods. i am not saying that i am right, and other people are wrong. i was just wondering. any suggestions would be great. thank you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It does seem like more attention is paid to the rears doesn't it? I have a bastard setup I'm going to try. An xtra 12 front with a 136" xtra 10 in the rear. I think that would be an awesome cross country/aggressive susp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts