Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres my problem. my 93 xlt's track wont seem to stay tight, and will slip. after careful inspection, i found that the tensioner bolts will work themselves loose, the threaded block on the the sides of the rails are goofed up, so i am thinking of putting the xrta 10 out of a 96 xcr on my 93 xlt, and want some "how-to" advice. i dont want to throw my center of gravity off, but i still have the bare tunnel of the xcr in my garage, if i do some careful measuring, and re-mount the rear mount on my xlt, will this become reality? i also have all the front suspension parts from the xcr, would i be smart to put those on my xlt also? thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you do not want all the headaches, tap the next size bolt into the block. Then use locktight.

He who loves not his country can love nothing

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive already thought about "tapping" out the block, but part of my problem is one of the blocks had been replaced, except they used nuts/bolts to reinstall. this one will shift itself just enough so that the tension bolt will move on the axle and wont keep the tension. i should also say that i have put two jam nuts with lock washers on either side of the blocks.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If those aluminum blocks that hold the tensioner bolt tight are goofed up, just drill out the rivets holding them in, (or remove the bolts in your case) and buy a new block and rivets from the dealer, (either aluminum or stainless steel rivets) just make sure they won't rust; and pop those new parts in with a rivet gun. Go with bigger diameter rivets if needed. Rivets will be alot more permanent then vibrating those bolts loose. Also, make sure you have that extra nut on the tensioner bolt, use that to tighten against the block and the bolt will never move.

If you still decide to throw on the Xtra-10, it should fit, just double check all measurements and proper mounting locations. If this is done, i would then consider putting on the front shocks and springs from the XCR, i know the lenghts are different; however, i'm still not sure if they will fit. If your track still slips, then make sure your bearings on the drive shaft are not worn out. Good luck.

Let it snow!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not the drive bearings, cause after i ride, then come home and prop the sled up for the night, you can deffinately see that the track is loose, so before my next ride, i tighten it back to spec. but after a bit, it slips again. but i will double check the drive bearings to make sure- thanks for the tip

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the xtra 10 is going in, and i will take pictures of it in progress, that way if anyone else plans on upgrading their older "indy" suspension, they will have the pics to help. plus MRPOLARIS18 sent me a link he found on http://www.off-road.com on upgrading to xtra 10.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Excellent decision. U will love the XTRA 10.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I did it on my 91 RXL. What a difference. Just match up the bolt holes in the front, and get the mounts off the donor sled for the rear bolt holes. I changed the front out as well. The hardest part was that the sway bar was a little tricky. Also, you have to use the trailing arms off of the donor sled to allow the shocks to mount correctly. Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts