Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering about the rear suspension setup on my 97 XC 440. It bottoms to easily (well I guess it dose not bottom but at the first part of the travel it barley even seems like there is anything there) and it does not rebound very well at the first part of the travel when it comes back up. I tightened the springs and still is to soft. This model has the adjuster screw on the fly for the rear front shock. That also does not seem to do much when you twist the nob (it is gas and has a resevoir). Does any body know if the 97 440 has a screw on the very rear shock to adjust compression. It is a fox shock.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Try going to a heavier set of rear torsion springs. Maybe your suspension is binding somewhere too. Also, if you haven't already done it, get your shocks rebuilt or recharged. Consider having them revalved to a stiffer setting, because your rear shock does not have any adjustment for compression or rebound. It's just an external resivour to provide the shock more resistance to fading.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The first step if you have not done it already is to rebuild/recharge the Fox shocks.

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Sorry Willy did not see your other post on recharging shocks.

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem on my 97, i thought it was the shock but it was the springs, i would set the springs stiff and it didnt help. so i changed the springs and that was it

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
How do you know when your sled actually bottoms out? When I go over an abrupt, but smaller bump. (like washboards) I get a bang noise, but no jolt at all. It happens near the beging of the track.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
huh...my 97 xc440 doesn't have the adjuster screw on the fly for the rear front shock (thats mounted in front of the bars, right?), what's up with that?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it donen't bottom, maybe that is just the track. Ya thats is wierd that your sled dosen't have an adjuster nob.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I think that adjuster knob is a kit that is added on at some point from either a dealer, racer or it was custom built to fit. But as far as my knowledge goes, an adjustable nob near the handlebars to control the shocks is NOT OEM on a 97 xc 440. I know some of the SnoPro's have them, perhaps it is from one of them, but that's about all i can tell ya.

Sno-X-treme: I wouldn't worry. One of my friends who has a stock 97 xc 440 also does NOT have it. My 98 doesn't have it either.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I like the foxes, one of the things I noticed was to valve it to your weight. I'm no slim chicken at 220 plus gear. The last two xtra 10's I've replace stock torsion springs with the heavier one's and ride with them on low. A freshly charges shock and valving will certinaly make it feel stiffer. If your shock is in bad shape you might end up with soft ride. Not certian it would fix your bottoming put though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts