Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really want my suspension quite a bit tighter this year. its from a 1999 xc 500 with the fox position sensitive shock. im sick of bottoming out alot. here what ive tried, Ive had the spring block on the highest settings and have had the shock rebuilt and recharged. there was not much difference at all. ive been on a few other friends xtra 10 suspensions and theres is way stiffer than mine. what should i do? get tighter springs or look for a whole new shock. and what about the small front shock? i havent really done anything with that.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The Position Sensitive shock is know to be soft. Try a regular Fox xtra-10 rear, gold body or white body, shouldn't matter. A shock out of an x-10 XCR will be stiffer than say an x-10 XLT.
I'm a really light guy, so I was able to get away with using the PPS shock for the last couple years, but I might look into getting a regular Fox.

I'm completely re-tuning my sled with clutching, gearing, and suspension. I'll will have to let you know what does and doesn't work well once I get testing done and everything dialed in this winter, since we both have the same sled.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The PPS shock is the problem. You can have it re-valved but that will likely cost more than a good used shock. A remote reservoir rear shock from a 97-99 XCR 440 works well on these sleds IMO.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys. I'm thinkin getting some used springs since my sled as over 11,000 miles. But ill get a good used shock. Would like a walker Evans or something work?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Imo just go with a fox xtra 10 shock, easy to find someone to rebuild one and they are easier to find. Add to that they work very well.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Empire087 said:
Imo just go with a fox xtra 10 shock, easy to find someone to rebuild one and they are easier to find. Add to that they work very well.
Not to mention price! a single rear Fox shock should be $50. As opposed to a couple hundred for a W/E!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the fox position sensitive shock differnt in stiffness with the regular white fox shocks?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
the PPS is softer than the white or gold Fox shocks

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man!!^^^ youve helped me with alot! im gonna get the other fox shock and probably some newer (used) heavy springs at haydays

·
Registered
506 Posts
Swap in an edge skid. You will be lots happier with the sled. If that is not something you want to do then you can revalve or replace the PPS with another fox. Avoid anything other than a fox as chances are they will not fit. Some guys will tell you that a Ryde or walker from a pro will work but only after significant mods. Don't over look the front track shock. There may be no oil at all left in it after all of these years. Also instead of just replacing the springs measure the opening angle to determine if they are bad. Additionally make sure the spring rollers don't have flat spots.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jbshocks said:
Swap in an edge skid. You will be lots happier with the sled. If that is not something you want to do then you can revalve or replace the PPS with another fox. Avoid anything other than a fox as chances are they will not fit. Some guys will tell you that a Ryde or walker from a pro will work but only after significant mods. Don't over look the front track shock. There may be no oil at all left in it after all of these years. Also instead of just replacing the springs measure the opening angle to determine if they are bad. Additionally make sure the spring rollers don't have flat spots.
I want an edge skid but not enough money. I'm gonna go with some heavy duty springs and your right I should check that front shock and have that rebuilt.

·
Registered
506 Posts
MuscleD said:
jbshocks said:
I want an edge skid but not enough money. I'm gonna go with some heavy duty springs and your right I should check that front shock and have that rebuilt.

By the time you buy springs $150 and a used shock to then have it rebuilt it will not likely be cheaper. I have bought edge skids for 200-250 and sold extra 10s for 150- 400 so by selling your extra 10 you can recover some of the cost of the edge and by not buying the new parts it ends about the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts