Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 polaris xcr 600 sp and it has an xtra 10 suspension. I wanted to swap it for a xtra 12 suspension and i was wondering if that was possible? Also if it is possible to swap it how would I be able to mount it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
if you have a special it should have the xtra 12. But ya if you swap out the back one i think i would swap the front as well cause its going to sit reallty goofy and not handle well at all

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Plus the extra 10 is alot tougher suspension than the extra 12

·
Super Moderator
11,277 Posts
The extra 10 is actually better then the 12 IMO. The extra 12 sucks in deep snow.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
^^^Depends what style of riding you plan on doing. For the trails the xtra-12 is pretty damned good.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Here are the measurements off of my '95 XLT Special for the mounting locations. If you PM TheKuskokid, he may be able to help you. He has done, or is in the process of doing, the swap in his XCR 800.

[attachment=33661]

Edit: Oh, I would post this type of thing in the "Polaris" section or the "Suspension and Chassis" section. You might get more responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the 10 is a lot better for aggressive trail riding then the 12. The 12 is great for the trail rider that isn't jumping and pounding the suspension. It has a comfort aspect to it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have xtra 12 on my xlt and consider myself an aggressive rider. Ive gone through 2 complete rear skids in the time ive owned my sled. Its a trail crusier suspension, or if you just want your sled to look nice and high parked but thats about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Shinns11
[br]I have a 1996 polaris xcr 600 sp and it has an xtra 10 suspension. I wanted to swap it for a xtra 12 suspension and i was wondering if that was possible? Also if it is possible to swap it how would I be able to mount it.
I had a sled like yours and wonder why you want to change it for an extra 12 ???

I really liked that sled, except I had to keep engine head in stock at home[V]

·
Registered
660 Posts
Heres mt thoughts...the(96)XCR600sp (if i remeber correct) the front is the old suspension with fox.like 7 inches of travel upfront & 10 in the rear...Do you really want 12 in the back with 7 in the front...Sled would sit ass high and lots of ski pressure. Also the 10 has a faster reaction to rebounding after bumps then the 12 and this is was makes it a good aggressive trail suspension..the 12 if you hit many whoops in a row can not get back fast enough and often bottoms out because it doesn't have time to return fully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts