Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I have read old posts about adjusting the camber on my 97 XLT LTD. They were helpful - thanks! However, I cannot get a wrench on to the jam nut on the upper radius rod (lower one neither!) where it is bolted to the middle bracket (is that the steering block?). I removed the bolt that I thought was holding the upper radius rod end onto the steering block from inside the engine compartment (after taking off other rod ends, and some producing some "blue air"), but the radius rod end still did not come off. That bolt doesn't seem to go through the rod end - or does it go through a bushing that goes through the rod end?

To make the upper radius rod adjustment I removed the bolt from the outer end of the radius rod and then was able to unscrew the rod from that rod end that goes to the steering block. That allowed me to unscrew and remove the rod, and get a long socket on the jam nut at the steering block. Put the rod back on, and adjusted the camber. But now, how do I get at the jam nut to tighten it up?

I have read an old post where an 11/16" crow foot wrench with a 20 inch extension is required. I tried this with my crow foot wrench (it is 1-5/8 inches wide), but there just isn't enough room to get the crows foot into the gap in the belly pan and onto the nut.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a special tool, or a narrower crows foot wrench?

And how do you get that central (at the steering block) radius rod end off the steering block?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There isn't that much torque on them, you can grind away the outside of the crow-foot 'till it fits.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The crows foot (and every extension I own) worked for me. Don't know what else to tell you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I may need to either go out and try to buy a narrower crow foot wrench, or grind my good "Snap On" one down (which I kind of hate to do to a high quality wrench).

For now I have tightened as much as possible by twisting a flat screwdriver against and turning the jam nut.

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts