Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im attempting to put an xtra-12 rear suspension in my 91 indy 500 so far i havnt had so much luck, i was woundering if any one could tell me the proper place to mount it to allow for the suspension to work properly because last time i just guessed it and when the suspesion compressed it tensioned the track allowing it to only go down a few inches, but i have an idea im going to try tonight, or if anyone has any other thoughts i would greatly appreciate them thanks Junior

·
Registered
113 Posts
My friend and want do the same thing on an 95 xcr. I would sudjest measuring a sled that came with xtra12. First measure the distance from the cog shaft and the front mounting bolt for the x dim., then down from the top of the tunnel for the y dim. once you have the front the rear should be easy just get the center to center distance good and measure down from the top again for the back. You will need to reenforce the tunnel were you drill the new holes and try to keep the drilled hole dia. tight to the bolt size, this is important. hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the insight but i think i got it good to go, now all i have to do is reinforce and we should be in luck

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Am I reading this right? Did you get it to work? and how? I would be very interested in measurements you came up with!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes you heard right xtra-12 in a 91 indy 500 i think everything is good to go on it im gonna finish putting it back togather and hopefully i can get it out this weekend and take it around the yard to see if everything is working properly and not binding, but im pretty positive this will work and i will get ya some pics soon too. any suggestions on how to pick the nose of the sled up a bit now that the backend is a lil higher

Junior

·
Registered
608 Posts
What I did with my old Pol was replace the shocks with a set off of a motorcycle. They were about 1" longer and had many adjustments. Since my stock shocks werewhipped they sagged bad. You could also put preload spacers under the springs to stiffer them. I know this all sounds quite shadetree but it works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey the shadetree way will just have to do for me, i was gonna make a bracket to mount the top of my shock down a lil farthur but i dunno which way im gonna go with it thanks for the input

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can put anything in as long as the drive sprockets are the same style HECK I put in a new suspension in my 1990 Arctic Cat Wild cat 650 there is pics on this link,,

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8417

1 - 9 of 9 Posts