Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 XLT SP with XTRA 12 front and back. My problem is that the rear end feels like I'm riding on marbles. On loose snow groomed trails the rear end swisses from side to side. the Fox shocks were rebuilt December 2002. I've played with the front track shock preload and the torchen springs with no results. The rear when compressed only comes up a few inches, but I can pull it by hand about five inches. The ride is still good but the handling s**ks. Any ideas of how to fixs this problem or the correct setting would be great. I'm thinking the torchen springs have worn out!!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Right, studs if you don't havem already.
also here is a link for that problem on the xtra-10. not sure if the same applies for the xtra-12.

http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/info/howto/2003/x10shuffle/index.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
track has 144 picks already, and the xtra 12 is a totally diff. animal compared to the xtra 10 thanks.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You still may be able to take the same theory from that Xtra-10 article and try some changes on your X-tra 12. Experiment, maybe try lightening up on ski pressure and also align ski's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did a ski alignment, and increased and decreased the ski pressure preload on the shocks with no help. Can any tell how thier xtra 12 is set up, by measureing the preload sping distance thread count on both the front and rear track shocks, and what hole the rear track shock is mounted in, mine is mounted in the bottom hole.
again thank you for your responce.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
On mine, I have the rear torsion springs on high (turned the block to the highest setting) and adjusted the RSS to the medium setting (both sides). She seemed to hook up well, and I only have 96 studs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts