Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the XTRA-12 on my Ultra. My dad weighs in a 230 lbs. and I weigh in at around 120 lbs. Now, when one of us sits on it, the snowflap goes just about down to the ground. Now, I've never delt with an XTRA-12, so is this suspension suppose to sag that much? When one of us sit's on my XLT SKS with the XTRA-10, it doesn't sag much.

Should I start with the spring blocks and increase the pressure on them or is this how the 12 works? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The XTRA-12 just works that way. It will not accomodate a range of 120-230 lbs with the same spring and shock setup. It should sag about 6" at the bumper with the rider weight.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD. So take a messurment from the bumper to the ground and see if it's 6 inches then?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
When I had an X12 I adjusted for about 3 inches of sag. You use the torsion spring adjustment cam to compensate for the added weight. If that's not enough you can go to stiffer torsion springs. Polaris used to have a film on their website that gave the sag dimensions. I think 6-inches is too much myself. The other rule of thumb is you want the sled to bottom out when you hit big whoops. If it never bottoms, it's too stiff. The x10 is a different animal. It can take more abuse and is a better suspension if you are aggressive.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
6 inches may be a little on the high side, but I figure 6 inches at the bumper probably translates to about 4 inches true sag in the suspension. Also, over an inch is just taken up by the skid levelling itself on the ground.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Take a look at my personal web page on this site. Some of the service manual info is there that pertains to spring settings. Eventually, I plan to post some shock info, also. www.snowmobilefanatics.net/JD

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to mess around with the spring settings tomorrow to see what happens. Thanks again.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The XTRA-12 is what is known as the "falling rate suspension". The XTRA-10 is a "rising rate suspension". I've read this about a year ago and basically got the jist of it being the falling rate is softer(usually) and absorbs bumps and has more down travel than it has up travel. the rising rate suspensions usually ride quite a bit stiffer but are more of an aggressive type of suspension. the XTRA-10 deflects bumps, and has more up travel than down...
The snowflap should usually be really close to the ground(no more than an inch), reason being is so it uses the snow coming off of the track to bring up to the front heat exchanger snuck up in the bulkhead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts