Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what do the 2 shocks do, do they serve different functions? I have no dampening in my xtra 12 suspension(I pogo stick over multiple bumps), is it likley I need both shocks or more likely only one is bad? and would it be the front or rear? I hate to tear it apart now since their may only be a few days of snow left, but I have seen several shocks going fairly cheap on ebay.

· Registered
55 Posts
Based on my experience with a '96 XLT w/ X-12, you should start with replacing the rear shock. I think this is the smaller of the two. The good news is that it comes off in 5 minutes and back on in a few more. You don't need to pull the the skid or anything.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
Shouldn't have to buy new ones. Finish out the season since you think it's coming to an end anyway, then this summer pull them out and have them rebuilt. I'd do both of them right away. This is my summer project too.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I just found a set of rebuilt fox shocks for $75, I will probably grab them, i can have the rear one replaced for this weekend before the snow is gone! then worry about the front this summer when I pull the track out.
I can also get Fox front's for another $75, the fronts seem pretty good would it really be worth changing them for a back yard/field toy?
(I have been riding a old 88 Skidoo 500 for the past 3 yrs) so this rides like a Caddy in comparison! but I do have a ATV track in my back yard so I will be doing some jumping

· Registered
3,747 Posts
I don't see why the rear track shock would go bad any faster than the front track shock. And even if it did, I have a hard time believing you'd notice it if the front one wasn't also bad.

If you are buying rebuilt shocks, that's good. But, do you have any idea what valving is in them? My experience is that if you are under 240 lbs on a 121-inch XTRA-12, you don't need any compression valving in the rear shock. And only a light rebound stack is needed. Oftentimes, the stock coil spring on the rear track shock is too stiff, too. For the front track shock, the stock valving, at least on the earlier 12s, was a straight, single stage stack. A stack with two stages works much better up there, since that front track shock seems to do most of the work in the stutter-bumps.

I've changed the rear shock with the suspension in place, and I determined I would never do that again. Removing the suspension entirely is way too easy.

I hope the season lasts longer than you think it will.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks JD, that makes a lot of sense, on the front shock!
I am only 165 and the "stock" ride is pretty good till I hit any bumps in series then I get pogo effect! which really stinks, I have a atv track and one of my favorite jumps you go thru a dip first which makes it impossible to jump this sled without going over the handlebars! the fox shocks I was looking at is 2 stage on the front one but not sure on the valveing, I assumed the rebound is adjustable like a motorcycle shock?? are these likely not adjustable? I now the stock shocks are not.

· Registered
3,747 Posts
I don't know anything about motorcycle shocks. And I don't know what you mean by "adjustable." The valving is adjusted by disassembling the shock.

What sled is this, and what are the stock shocks?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.