Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see some pictures of the torsion springs installed on an xtra-12. Does the short end of the torsion spring go on top/back of the adjustment block or in front of the adjustment block?

The entire suspension was diassembled and greased. New Ryde FX shocks and all new springs and it still sags about 5 inches with no one on the sled. It doesn't rebound more than an inch when you get off the machine. I reinstalled the new torsion springs exactly as the old one were and there seems to be no change in the suspension action.

I am just wondering if I need to reinstall the torsion springs with the short end in front of the adjustment block so when the suspension is compressed it is opening the torsion spring rather than closing it.

Pictures of installed xtra-12's would be nice. I am just very disappointed that all the new components haven't changed the suspension at all.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The torsion springs go on top/back of the adjustment blocks. 5 inches of sag sounds pretty good to me. What were you trying to accomplish? Which rate of springs did you install? Did you take into account your weight and riding style when ordering the new springs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD.

This suspension just doesn't seem right compared to other machines with the same suspension. It seems to sit way to low and not rebound enough. In doing what I did, I was hoping to gain some ride height and get better rebound from the suspension.

This is my wifes machine so I replaced the springs with stock units...maybe my expectations were not right.

Would there be any advantate to moving the short end of the torsion spring to the front of the adjustment block? It would make the spring coil open when the suspension is compressed rather than close around the plastic bushing?

I only ask this question because I have seen pictures of other xtra-12 suspensions with the springs in the front of the adjustment blocks. Admittedly I have seen just as many with the springs on the top/back of the blocks.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
What year and model is the machine?

Originally posted by ktal74
[br]
This suspension just doesn't seem right compared to other machines with the same suspension. It seems to sit way to low and not rebound enough. In doing what I did, I was hoping to gain some ride height and get better rebound from the suspension.
A properly set up XTRA-12 should really ride no higher than a machine with a standard suspension.

[br]
This is my wifes machine so I replaced the springs with stock units...maybe my expectations were not right.
Depending on her weight, the stock springs are likely too stiff.

[br]
Would there be any advantate to moving the short end of the torsion spring to the front of the adjustment block? It would make the spring coil open when the suspension is compressed rather than close around the plastic bushing?
This would not work. I do not think it is even possible. When the suspension compresses, it pushes the rear tang of the torsion spring up. If the spring was on the other side of the block, it would not be pushing against anything, and the spring would just flop around there.

You may want to look at this thread.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59008

Check out the spring info I have on my personal webpage on this site.

Here is another link. Some good info, but then the thread turns into an argument between intelligence and ignorance.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60187

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a 1997 XLT Limited.

I doubt the springs are too much for my wife :)

I don't know if it is possible to mount the torsion springs in front of the adjustment blocks...but look at this thread and the picture of pigboys xtra 12:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8592

It seems that his springs are installed with the short end of the torsion spring in front of the adjustment block. However that isn't mounted in the sled...so...who knows.

I think maybe I just need to realize that I stuck a bunch of money in this skid for no reason. I will have to call it maintenance and be done with it.

Now I have to get a new track, new springs and shocks in the MXZ700. The fun never ceases.

Pray for rideable snow!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I cannot figure out how the suspension in that picture pigboy posted is put together, but the torsion springs are definitely wrong. Take a look at this photo from TheKuskokid. It is hard to see, but this is correct.

[attachment=52064]

Did you take a look at the info on my webpage? It gives the spring info and helps with the preload settings. www.snowmobilefanatics.net/JD
You should be able to make that XTRA-12 ride very nice for her.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JD

I will go with the way I have it put together and I will tune it from here. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The spring in the photo of my skid is one of the optional springs listed in the Polaris service manual. It is the 7041484-067 275 #/in. which was recommended in the set-up for a heavy rider with 30 pounds of gear on the 133.5" skid. Uhhh....yeah. My sled rode like a cement truck. I took the spring off and installed the spring that came with the skid, a chrome plated job which was 0.335" diameter. It still was difficult to compress slightly, so I was thinking it may have been the 200 lb/in. Not so. It compresses quite easily, so while driving down the trail the rear pivot is bumping the rear-rear scissor block. It is annoying as all hell I can tell you. I have the 7041404-067 on the front. This is the 90-150 #/in. and it compresses very little. I think I 7041351 75-125 #/in. spring. and reinstall that 1484 in the rear to see how it does.
By the way, my skid is from a 1995 RXL.

When installing the torsion springs, they are pretty still, not terribly so, but you need to be careful when lifting them over the idler to get them on the front blocks. I am guessing each one takes about 65-70 lbs. to lift in.

Lastly, there is more information on page 8.60 of the service manual that lists set-ups for various rider weights and skid lengths. Among those are torsion springs with both 55* and 77* angles and varying thickness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts