Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1995 xltsp with the xtra12 suspension. Does it seems like the sled is slow. Last year i could bearly outrun a 1991 indy 500 (both going around 80mph). Is this average, or do i have a dog. Also, i bought the bigger springs (I am 6'2" and 240lbs.)but the sled still seems to sag around 4-5 inches with me on it, leaving around 8 inches of travel. Is this normal. Thanks and I love TUSF

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the sag is right were it should be. if there was no sag, as you went over a dip in the trail the whole sled would drop down, but with the sag in there, only the supension drops down, the top end of the sled should be a little higher, but how much distance is it taking, and what conditions, whith your weight, in wet snow or warm day, or head wind, that might be all she had that day. how does it run, start nice, run nice, not comparing to other machines, is it snappy,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sled seems pretty quick up to the top end. I put c & a skis and i am trying to put a slp airbox on, so hopefully that will help some. Thanks for the info on the sag

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd look and make sure the clutching is spot on. Take and draw a line up the clutch, both primary and secondary and take er out. Note how much of the line is erased by the belt going up the primary and down the secondary. Where is the RPM at?

Your rear should be set to use full travel. I have the sag spec in my service books, I'll dig it out and post it for you. I try to set it to just lightly bottom on the hardest hit I usually run into on the trail. This gives you a nice ride and keeps her down for handling. Set it too stiff and you'll be beating yourself up. I set the sag with the torsion spring and then adjust the front shock from there. Slide the stopper down to the shock and watch where it ends up after an average ride. It should be up at the top. You can ride different sections and have a look. Tighten it up and look, loosen it off and look where the stopper is. You'll feel the difference. When you hit the stutters and everyone is backing off, you'll be pouring it on. Gotta love that part of the xtra-12.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just another quick thought.

There are allot of riders who set their skid up real firm, for the "rough stuff". That is a misconception. Rough ride is not a good ride. Rough means your not using the suspension. It should use full stroke. The sag allows the skid to fall as well as rise. without sag the skid can't fall, only rise/compress. Think of it like this. If there is no sag your skid compresses on the bumps and the sled drops into the valleys. With sag the skid drops and takes up the valleys,not the sled.The stroke absorbs the bump. Think stiff, no sag sled bucks up in the rear on hit and down on the drop and you get slapped in the @#$ by the sled. Its reaction is to throw you off like a bucking bronco. You want to find a median point for any given type of riding maximizing the stroke. Set up the xtra-12 rocks in the stutters and general trail stuff. The moguls, well that is a problem. beyond the capabilities of the skid.

The 12 is a bit of an odd skid. There is no shock/spring on the front arm. That is what gives it the good ride but also compromises the big hits. It does not set up like the rest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info. This is the first sled i have had with a real suspension. I was into vintage up until now, and was happy with 3 inches of travel. Now i see what i have been missing. I was doing what you said, and trying to set it stiff. I will set it lighter, and when the snow flys again (supposed yo see 6inches tonight) i will try it out. thanks again

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i am about the same wieght and i had the blocks on the middle position for most trail riding, seems real soft, for hard riding i clicked them to high,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Scott S
You sound like you know the Xtra 12 pretty well. After sitting on my 96 XLT SP I can lift the rear of the sled about 4 to 5 inched useing the rear bumper. I had the shocks rebuilt and new spring last year. Is this normal or do I have a problem some were else.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey 90 plus,

To set it up bouce it up and down until it is settled. Measure the rear bumber to the floor. Sit on it and measure again (sag), get off and measure again. It should return to 1/2 of the sag.

On it = SAG 1 1/2 "

Set Sag with predominantly torsion.

Set pre-load on front track spring to spec to start. Look at weight chart and adjust from there. Note your current settings so you can track the change. Do this first.

When lifting the sled up it does drop out below a long ways. It is hard to get the front of the track up in the air. It hangs long after the rear is lifted. I think the front drop out is what causes these skids to be loose in the rear on soft, loose trails. I believe the skid rockers back and forth on the front of the skid causing the rear to get loose.I have spent considerable time with this and I don't have all the cures yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts