Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the distinguishing features of an x-tra ten suspension are? I am looking to buy one but don't want to get the shaft and get a standard eight. I noticed they seem to look just like mine with the exception of the dual straps. Any help is appreciated

Also I know there are a lot of posts on here but can you just change the spindles or do you have to change it all on the front?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The difference in ride quality of an 8-inch front and an xtra10 front is very minimal. Not worth the time or money for such a small difference.

The rails of the xtra-10 are much taller at the rear bogey wheels, about 4-5 inches tall. The standard 8 is only about 2 inches tall the whole length of the rail.

This is the rear of the xtra10 skid. It is visually much more beefier than the 8-inch.
When looking for xtra-10 skids, make sure to check the base of the front torque arm, they often have cracks in the steel there
20102211201670_23360.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is this an x-tra ten skid? Sorry just not real familiar with snowmobile stuff yet.
2010101022110875_31490.jpg 20101010215651859_31490.jpg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
No that's a standard 8.
Where the rail goes from short to tall at the rear of the skid, the 8 you have pictured has 2 "steps". Some 8's have 2 steps, some only have one. The profile of it is quite square... it is horizontal, then vertical real quick, then horizontal again and vertical for a little once more, and finally horizontal until the very rear of the rail.
Where the rail goes from short to tall at the rear of an x-10 skid, it takes on a "quarter-pipe" profile. (skateboarding term for a vertical ramp, where a quater-pipe is half of a half-pipe). The profile of this one is first horizontal, and then it slopes up a curve to vertical, and then directly horizontal again.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
speeddemon383 said:
So is this an x-tra ten skid? Sorry just not real familiar with snowmobile stuff yet.
That is not a extra 10 rear suspension, it looks like a xc 100 or 101 to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
98700xc said:
speeddemon383 said:
That is not a extra 10 rear suspension, it looks like a xc 100 or 101 to me.

What is this skid then? Its off of an indy 340 lite. Is it worth anything? Are either of them worth anything? 20101010222159812_31490.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thats not an x-10 either. Both of them are only worth $100 each AT MOST- and that's only if they have free-to-rotate mounting shafts and no egged out holes in the rails.

Xtra-10 was first made in 1996. Just about every Polaris made between '96 and '98 had either xtra-10 suspension or xtra12 suspension. It is very easy to tell the difference between the 12 and the 10 (the 12 has two shocks on attached to the rear torque arm, both shocks are coil-over-shock style, and zero shocks on the front torque arm.) Stay away from them, they can't take a beating.
If you narrow your search between 1996 and 1998, your chances of finding an x-10 are MUCH greater.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just picked one up with fox shocks for 150 shipped. That is the best price I have found......now the fun begins.....[^]

·
Registered
718 Posts
the x lite, i believe, had no coupler blocks. it's similar to the x10 i think. correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
speeddemon383 said:
Just picked one up with fox shocks for 150 shipped. That is the best price I have found......now the fun begins.....[^]
Nice! Good job on getting one with fox, way better. And that's a great price too, shipping for them is a lot, and I normally get $150 for a Fox-10 with no shipping.

shady800x said:
the x lite, i believe, had no coupler blocks. it's similar to the x10 i think. correct me if i'm wrong.
I think it must be something like that. I've never come across a sled with the xtra lite so I don't know for sure. I know that the xtra Lite 136 is what the RMK and Tourings ran in '98-2000, so it does seem that it the 136 xtra lite replaced the 136 xtra10

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What all does the xtra ten on the front entail. I was told it wasn't worth it but right now my motor is out and If I'm going to do it I want to do it now. I have also seen on here that the spindles are longer and that will jack the front up? So should I just change the spindles or should it all be changed?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It isn't worth it. You need everything to convert it to extra 10 to maintain proper geometry. Spindles are only about an inch taller. If you want to get the front of the sled off the ground a little, yeah you could put x-10 spindles on it. That will really only make a difference in powder riding, but since it's only an inch, the difference is very minimal. So again, it's still not really worth it.
I mean, the '96 ultra and the '96 xcr6 had a 10" rear with an 8" front, so obviuosly it is just fine if you leave the front with the standard 8 inch

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
It isn't worth it. You need everything to convert it to extra 10 to maintain proper geometry. Spindles are only about an inch taller. If you want to get the front of the sled off the ground a little, yeah you could put x-10 spindles on it. That will really only make a difference in powder riding, but since it's only an inch, the difference is very minimal. So again, it's still not really worth it.
I mean, the '96 ultra and the '96 xcr6 had a 10" rear with an 8" front, so obviuosly it is just fine if you leave the front with the standard 8 inch
X2

·
Registered
454 Posts
The extra clearance depends on how much ditch riding you do and if your fond of eating snow all the time, not all of us live in Mn where ya'll got 4 lane sled trails. Even riding fields you will eat a ton of snow with the "stock" 8 front suspension. The differance in the trailing arms are only about 3/4 of a inch, so id would just switch out radius rods and shock and spindles and call it a day if thats what your wanting to. Remember its your sled and you have to be happy with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts