Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man i just got a 440ss i have ridden it the last few days and now it's overevn hardcore...and i'm new to sleds so any suggestions? and it just started doing it all at once....help....it's snowing out...GRRRRRRR [}:)]

·
Registered
848 Posts
What do you mean by over-revving? Did it drive fine in the past few days?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bames said:
What do you mean by over-revving? Did it drive fine in the past few days?
It was rideing great then just started to gas itself hard checked cables everything but it's tryn to max rpm when it fires up....now it wont fire up at all..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rainman56 said:
So when you start it it revs up high and wants to take off without touching the throttle?
That is correct... it is not wanting to start now.... but my son was rideing it and he said it slowly started revn more and more as he rode it....and when he pulled up i killed it and checked cables and everything looked fine...but still was doing the same so i put it in the garage...just tryn to get an ideal on what to look for..

·
Registered
393 Posts
What type of carbs are on that?I know most sleds have mikunis but some yammies ran keihns if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rainman56 said:
What type of carbs are on that?I know most sleds have mikunis but some yammies ran keihns if I remember correctly.
Not sure...this is all new to me as far as sleds go gona have to do some homework on it... it's a 1982 440 ss...

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you follow the throttle cable it will connect to a small lever, make sure that the lever is free. There may be a spring there too, to put tension on the lever. You should be able to move it back and forth and it should go back to it's position, not just sticking there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bames said:
If you follow the throttle cable it will connect to a small lever, make sure that the lever is free. There may be a spring there too, to put tension on the lever. You should be able to move it back and forth and it should go back to it's position, not just sticking there.
did that to man when it was revn i had the idle screw turned all the way out and was all but standing on the lever and it made no changes.... its makeing me crazy..lol.. think im gona have to break it down and check it all.. [V]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gona check it over.. got to get my fuel for heater in the garage the one foot of snow and growing is killing MEH!!lol.. thnx for the info i will post what i find tomorrow..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok this is the last time i go off what people tell me..... the previous owner used a rag for a air breather and that was his ideal of a new air filter...so i just spent some time cleaning rag parts out of the carb,intake,and heads....runs like a champ now...lol...the snow gods must love meh...

·
Registered
34 Posts
By the sounds of it I would almost say you have a crank seal out of it. Start it up and spray starter fluid or anything that starts on fire by the clutch behind clutch on the motor if it revs up crank seals out. The other on the mag side is hard to get at but just try that. The other thing is check that the slide isnt binding up with a weak spring.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Slydogz1 said:
Man i just got a 440ss i have ridden it the last few days and now it's overevn hardcore...and i'm new to sleds so any suggestions? and it just started doing it all at once....help....it's snowing out...GRRRRRRR [}:)]
could be incorrect throttle cbale..could be dumping fuel into the cyls do to to hi of float level...could be...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I converted my SS440 to a Mikuni 40mm carb, with a primer. THAT is the way to go, in my opinion. Easier to tune, find parts, find advice, and I suspect better performance. You need a longer throw throttle lever (or modify what you have), cable, and air filter (get rid of that clumsy airbox), but it fits in like a glove to the original boot - it's an easy switch. I had it dynoed (I race this one) and the dyno guy was very impressed (I'll just say it has more ponies than the Exciters). I did some other things to it too. Jetting is easy to dial in. You can find used carbs out there for $50- $75. With the other stuff you might sneak this conversion in for under $100.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts