Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 Model. My carb is a Keihin, and non of the rebuild kits fit it, anyone know where I can get a carb off of an old one or what I can do? Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a thought. Couldnt you just get a mukuni or some other carb for a 250 CC. Just modify it. Or get one that has all that same things you need, sizes and stuff. Just a thought

Giger

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
need a carb boot to fit mikuni throttle cable and plunger choke cable and plunger thats all i can think of now oh and prolly some jets to jet the carb for that motor

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just FYI. I modded a '76ish Olympique from Tillotson to Mikuni. Not as easy as you think but it can be done. The hardest part was to get the intake studs from the motor to fit the new carb as well as the right boot size to fit over that and on the new carb at the same time. In addition the distance from the cylinder wall was not enough to fit the mikuni so we had to make a spacer that would bring the new carb further away from the motor to fit. We also found that it had a different throttle cable and that needed to be worked around up around the throttle lever since it didn't pull enough to get WOT. I highly prefer the mikuni to Tillotson but never worked with a keihin.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
266 Posts
GTO, I rebuilt a '79 250 carb a few years back and got the parts that I needed individually from the Yami dealer. What parts do you actually need?

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need my carb rebuilt. I ordered some gaskets, the only ones that showed up for my 78, and they came, and did not match up with my old ones. I sent them back along with pics and traces(I traced around the holes in my original gaskets) to a guy who rebuilt his 78 and works at a dealership. Get this, the carbs are different from his to mine. I have had mine since new. I do not know what to do! My carb is leaking gas something [email protected]!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
if worse comes to worse use som silicone to get it to stop leaking or go to an autoparts store and get a gasket sheet and cut your own gaskets

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
266 Posts
There were 2 versions of the 250 in 79 an American version and a Canadian. The canuck has a choke and an enrichener and if I remember correctly a decompression cirquit, the Yankee only had a choke I think!!!Let me know what you got .

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
266 Posts
What I meant was does yours have an enrichener {primer} and a choke or just a choke. And does it have a compression release

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
7 Posts
Follow the advise above and order the parts from your Yamaha dealer. The only part not available is the complete carb. If you try to retrofit a Mikuni or some other carb to the sled the airbox will probably not fit. You will have to add a fuel pump and play with the jetting. It will not be an easy retrofit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have bought two rebuild kits for me Keihin carb but neither have fit. I have even bought a kit off a guy who with the same ride, and his fit and mine did not. I know this is the stock carb b/c I bought this one new. What should I do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Who is the manufacturer of the rebuild kits? I have not found an aftermarket kit to fit the 250 carb. When I checked on a factory rebuild kit from Yamaha there is no kit available. You must order each individual component. I have rebuilt quite a few 250 carbs and the local Yamaha dealer comes through every time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just called up my dealer and asked for a rebuild kit, gave them my model number and all the sled info I had, and they sent me a kit with the gaskets for the carb. I am sorry I cannot be more helpful. A guy who has the same sled sent me the same kit he put on, he works at a shop, and they did not even fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts