Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that you can get more gas in the tank if you remove the white tube that goes into the tank. Can anyone tell me if this is true and is it worth it. I have a 2000 700 MM

Snowmaching is not a thing to do - its a way of life

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have the 99 700 MM but there's no white tube in it. Does it look like it is the fuel pickup tube or the vent tube perhaps? I'd just leave it since the gain would be neglegible. there is also the fuel gauge sending unit. Mine looks like a wire though.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you talking about the tube under the fill cap? I think thats to prevent splashing when you are fueling up. You would only gain a thimble of gas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that it was new to the 2000 models and I was told that it could give you one more gal.
I think that it is splash prevention device. The tube goes down into the tank a few inches, so when you filling the pump shuts off at the bottom of the tube and it wont let you fill past it.

Snowmaching is not a thing to do - its a way of life

·
Registered
948 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by In Alaska:

I think that it was new to the 2000 models and I was told that it could give you one more gal.
I think that it is splash prevention device. The tube goes down into the tank a few inches, so when you filling the pump shuts off at the bottom of the tube and it wont let you fill past it.

Snowmaching is not a thing to do - its a way of life[/quote]

Man, at least you get to pump! I can only use gerry cans where I ride.

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s the advantage of having a cabin. The bad part is you have to tow or fly in the gas. We are going to try to haul in a 500 gal tank this year. We have been using 55 gal drums with a hand pump.

Snowmachining is not a thing to do - its a way of life

·
Registered
266 Posts
The tube in the neck is similar to alot of tanks ,in Cats its molded in. in a diesel tank {truck} its welded in . Its purpose is to regulate the top off point in a tank. When you stop at that point ,your leaving a amount of air thats used for expansion of the fuel .Without it ,if you filled to the tip top, temperature change of just a few deg. warmer or shaking of the fuel would have it squirting out the overflow tube. Now if my sled had 2 gal. of expansion room I'd be trimming that tube a little bit at a time to get some extra fuel in it without blowing it out the overflow. Gamble a little at a time, if you go too far get a new tube and cut it a little less.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts