Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad had to replace his hyfax after 21 miles of grass dragging. These things wear fast on yamahas. We were told this happens with lots of Yamahas. Anyone know a fix? We are going to try and move the farthest forward wheel forward more. A Polaris friend of ours did it to a buddy's SRX and said it helped a lot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah i think i know how you can fix it. You can either get hiperfax which melts at a much higher temp. for 155$ but i don`t think you want to spend that much. Or you can get Wear pads. wear pads reduce drag and wear on Hifax.If you don`t have these anti-wear pads you will have higher Hifax temperature, more drag against the track and even depositing rubber on the Hifax. Eventual damage to the track is also possible. So thats an option also. they cost around 40 dollars for 50 of them. I have no idea how they go on. But slp sells them for polaris but i think you can also put them on yamahas. Or Dennis kirk sells hifax saver wheel kits just for yamaha. There designed to cut down hifax wear and slide rail bend. Reduced friction and longer wear result. They include wheels, mounting brackets, and all the hardware and instuctions you need. You can mount them in other areas inside or outside the rail for special applications like grass drags. Well the kit sells for about a hundred dollars depending on what sled you have. I`m not trying to get you to spend yur money but if it was me i would choose this option. Well thats all i can come up with.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh by the way how was tug hill? I didn`t get to go because the guy i was suppossed to go with one of his gears went on it and we couldn`t go.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIdn't make it to tug hill. We tried to get there from Old Forge but they scraped the hell out of the roads between the two places. We made it to the Buckhorn Tavern which was the closest we made it that had more snow then Old Forge. Old Forge had too many ppl and trails got beat but the roads were great. We went up in the week when we saw more groomers than sleds, which rocked.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ok heres a idea a buddy of mine who grass drags his sled uses he's an engineer so he usally has some pretty good ideas, he got a winsheild washer bottle from a car then routed 2 small plastic tubes down to the front of the slides, he has a valve in-line, then he fills the bottle 2/3 dish wash soap 1/3 water then pulls to the light opens the in-line valve and the soap lubes and cools the slide making it last a bunch longer!, if your a serious grass dragger this might be worth fabricating.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I really like Vetboy's idea there. Not sure if I would bother with soap since the material is designed for water only but hey, might look like one of those push mowers for kids with all the bubbles coming out of it!

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually soapy water is the thing used by almost all grass draggers and it works pretty well. We always keep a couple of those weed killer spray things(the ones with the pump and are usually yellow and like 2 feet tall) anyway we fill them with soapy water and spray them on slides. Works pretty good but all newer Yamahas are said to have this problem even in snow. I saw 1 viper besides our stopped checking his slides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts