Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My freind just bought a new Yamaha 4 stroke 4 cyl. and is dieing to show us how fast it is. Well I hope it should be fast for what he paid for it , over $14,000 this machine is suppose to have over 150 h.p is this true.And what kind of performance should he get from a 4 stroker?? Well I hope he doesn't get stuck because I'll bet its a real heavy slug in deep snow.

wm.j.williamson

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
wow thats a load a money.. that sled looks pretty cool, espically the dual exhaust, but the way it sounds is sooo dumb.. i think.. but i heard they do 140 or some redicilous speed, i think i saw that last year on espn2 when they did a exhibition.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yeah as of yet I see lots of conflicting information and not really telling me much. As of yet I am hearing it is about as fast if not slower then the SRX it replaced. Top Speed I am sure it will kick anything stocks ass.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know if this is credible or not, but I talked to a yamaha sales man and he said that yamaha will be coming out with a super charger (maybe turbo charger I forget) this will give the RX1 300 h.p. and they will top out at 185.
Sounds suspicious.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
umm no yamaha won't do that. I wouldn't believe it for a second. Bender already has 300 HP turbo kits, removing the govenor on the engine should allow speeds close to that(dangerous risk of blowing her up) though, and a supercharger kit is already for sale from www.mountainperformance.com I keep on top of my Yamaha stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you go to Bender racing you will find they making a turbo for the rx1. They are rate to 300 hp. I saw one of there sled at the Big East Snow show.

TEAM BLUE SAID WIND IT UP BABY

·
Registered
36 Posts
All I know about the RX-1 is what I've read but I can only point out three things -

1) even at 137 hp there is approximately 50% more torque.

2) bender is claiming 280+ hp out of their supercharged version which in one word is just awesome - even if it only were to hit 250. How is the track going to take that abuse?

3) I overheard the Yami dealer yesterday saying after the break in oil Yami recommends 12000 mile oil changes.

That is incredible, if true.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok, bender themselves have said that they haven't toppped 235 on a turbo alone kit (not positive on the #, but I know it's a FAR cry from 300). Top speed, I don't know about, seems to me that if the SRx, Mach Z, Thundercats put out more hp, they should top out higher, all other things being equal correct? the speed the engine spins at doesn't matter, it's the amount of power it puts out, the rest is up to gear ratios.

also that price is in canadian $

I dunno, I race against these things, and I know for a fact that most of the ones you'll see at the track have engine work done, because they know that they're not gonna get stripped down, no techie wants to rip that slug down, you can't just pop a head like you can on a 2-stroke.

now, I'm a die hard yammi fan, and I totally agree that 4-strokes is where it has to go, and unless you REALLY want your sled standing up so hard yer scared it's gonna come over on you, and unless you REALLY WANT to be whippin across lakes at 140+mph, you don't really need 150+ hp. I know that most of us don't need that.

for 99% of the snowmobileing comunity, the RX-1 is MORE than sufficient, all this talk of mass centralization, and lowered centres of gravity, increased power to weight ratios. how many of us truly use this stuff?

ask yourself, when was the last time you had the speedo past 140? hell, 120 even?

ya, that's what I thought, unless you're doing this on a regular basis, the RX-1 is more than sufficient, but I DO personally believe that the 2-stroke triples will alway be more powerfull.

this being said, the RX-1 has MANY advantages that most people wouldn't think of, eg. smelling 2-stroke smoke all day, listening to those ear-cracking tuned pipes found on muscle sleds.

most riders these days don't need the performance these things buy, so the RX-1 is appropriate for this market.

but why do you think there was all that hype about vipers being faster than SRX's last year? how many of you actually ran a viper against an SRX?

what happened? for those of you who didn't try this, they stand up and run together to 90mph, then the viper falls on it's face and the SRX walks away from it like a mustang away from a tempo.

Personally, I think yamaha was counting on most people just takeing there word on this, and not actually testing it. Because now they can legitimatly say "the new RX-1, much faster than the viper" and people will assume the viper faster than the SRX

kawasaki did this before tye introduced 4-stroke bikes, 2 years before they began to de-tune the 2-strokes, so the 4-strokes seemedmore powerfull.

personally, I agree that this is something that truly needs to be done, 2-strokes just aren't clean enough to run these days, and 99% of us don't need the power of a 2-stroke

ok, I'm done ranting, please don't take this offensively anyone, I totally don't mean it that way, I'm just stateing what Ive seen, and what my raceing experience has taught me. If you wanna contradict me on any of this, please, be my guest, it's possible I'm wrong, but most of this is opinions, take it to heart as much or as little as you see fit.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
O ya, I forgot to mention earlier, that 12000 miles is for the filter, not the oil, oil every 5000km, or annually I believe, they aimed it at annually for most customers, bi-annually for true enthusiasts

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Horsepower right now is in the 143-145 range in stock form. Top speed listed by Sno Tech magazine was 124 mph clocked on radar. Thats flying on a stock sled.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
IMO, anything over 100 mph is crazy. I have only exceded 100 mph on a few rare ocations. I was so scared that something was going to break or fall apart on my sled and I was going to go for a tumble that I forced myself to slow down.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Fastest i ever got a sled to go was 120 mph on a big frozen lake with a stock 600 tripple. Well.....at least thats what the speedo says....so who knows really.
I notice that while going that fast you have to stare at the horizon, because looking at the snow directly in front of the sled is worthless, its all a blur. 100 is fast enough for me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Listen guys I drag race a 8 second 73 vega and I am in a fully caged car with a parachute to stop me and wheelee bars to stop it from going over all this talk of doing 130 mph on a frozen lake makes me think you people are crazy if I crash at least I have a cage if you crash we will need a sponge and bucket to pick up the remains right? Call me crazy but 100 mph is fast enough for me on a sled. I can a rush of adrenialin from my big block Vega not to be sounding old but I think the manufacturors are getting carried away with the speeds of sleds, some rich kid can go out and buy a sled to do over a 100 mph and kill himself is stupid right. Enough of preaching bring on the snow and stay safe out there guys

wm.j.williamson

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
call me crazy but 140 sounds bit wimpy to me. I am a die hard sled man I am that 1% of the population where the RX-1 fails by a long shot. I love fast trail romping, 100mph+ on the lakes, drag racing with no cage. Its all pure heaven to me. I hope to own a couple sleds when I am older. A nice trail machine, an 8 second street sled for whooping cars at the drag strip, and a top speeder for world record runs on the bonneville salt flats. I know i dream big but hey you have to. I hope to own my own dealership someday and if I do I want all this to be "advertising" :). I think a 925 Viper with triple pipes and a turbo setup should be good for a street sled. Just have to weasel my dad out of his in a couple yaers. Heck could take the turbo off for street racing. As for Junior's comment about the supercharged RX-1 he is right, as of yet I have not heard Bender state that they ever came up with anything over 235HP. And it is a turbo not a supercharger. But I know in one week Bender went from saying that they had not even come close to going over 235HP on a turbo RX-1 to the next week saying they had a 300hp one for sale. Not a lot of testing can be done in taht amount of time. Whatever my .02 cents.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:
call me crazy but 140 sounds bit wimpy to me.
[/quote]

Ok, you're crazy.

I love speed, but when I get up to the century mark, I start getting a little scared. Too many variables. To each his own though.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sled Dog, when I was 17 I thought I was invincible too, most guys with any guts do. You go man, but think first, always check out the area where you are going to go on a speed run first for hazards. I sold my last motorcycle when I was about 26 because I started thinking about what would happen if I hit the pavement at high speed. Someday your mortality will catch up with you too, but in the meantime drive sober and think it through. Of course I think people told me stuff like this when I was your age and I blew it off and luckily survived anyway. Oh well I tried.

This is from the Mountain Performance website;
"There are 2 different RX-1 kits, which provide horsepower from 180 hp on premium pump gas, to 220 hp on higher octane fuel, depending on kit. The 220 hp version features an intercooler.

At full boost this supercharger is capable of producing over 280HP on the RX-1 motor."

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think that yammi 4 stroker is pretty good actually. The power is only gonna get better, but the weight I don't know about. That motor weighs a ton alone and then building a chassis that will support it and it's monstrous hp and torque requires alot. Our dyno numbers were with only about 8 hours or so time on the motor and I know the power comes when the motor gets a little more time on it. The motor loves heat and loves Rpms, I can't wait to ride it in the snow.
Oh and I love the sound, not the stock sound tho that's crappy and wimpy, I love the White Knuckle Performance sound:)

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts