Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were all out at the narrows between two lakes the other day running the 300 feet of open water. Everything was going fine when a guy on a moded out sx 700 yamaha stopped by to watch. He decided after watching about ten succesfull crossings that he was going to try it. alot of the guys told him dont try it, dont try it Yamahas dont swim. So he objected stateing that he had this done and that done and he was going for it. You guessed it he hit the water at about 80mph made it about 150' and started to porpise. If he had given up there, he would have been in about five feet of water. but he kept going and made it another 50' which got him into the mouth of the next lake and thirty feet of water. We got him out O.K. I was wondering though, why dont Yamahas swim and everyone there seemed to know he wouldn't make it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Man, unless I was stinkin rich and didn't care about my sled, I would NEVER take it across water on purpose. I know, I know.....I've seen it done a bunch of times, and true it looks cool as hell. I suppose if you know what you're doing its no problem

So when you say yamahas cant swim are you being sarcastic, or have you seen several yamahas try water crossings and never make it. Jus curious.

1997 XLT SP 600

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've personally witnessed two go down. But what supprised me was that everyone knew that guy wouldn't make it . Maybe its a known fact. and I was wondering if anyone new why.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my guess is the triple is heavier and not as well balanced? just my idea...

Celebrate Your Indepence With A Rocket...Ride Polaris

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, and maybe going to fast too. You don't need to do 80 to cross water I don't believe. No idea though as to your original question hotrod.

1997 XLT SP 600

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if it was an SX that is a twin. The SXR is a triple but the SX is a twin. And I am almost certain they were just bashin on him since it was a Yammi not cause they know they don't "swim". I know plenty of guys who would say stuff like that cause they don't like Yamahas.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Well I know that yamaha weights their sleds heavier in the rear than the other brands, maybe that has something to do with it?

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!​

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what you mean about the Yammi bashing. But this time it was sincere. The group said if its a yamaha it wont make it and they really tried to make the guy listen. When we got back to the lodge and told some people our storey, most of them said before we told them "was it a Yamaha"...... strange

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I still think it was probably just bashin. Never heard anything of the sort about them. Won't start testing with the Viper etiher :). Maybe my buddies Phazer ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's true, I'm a die hard yammi guy and they don't swim none to good, but I can tell you exactly why, and how to fix it.

OK, have you ever noticed that all the other brands, other than yammi, seem to be able to lift the skii's alot easier? that's because the yamaha limiter straps are set real tight from the factory, meaning that the front shock on yer track suspension won't drop down. Because of that, when they get out in water, they can't keep the front above the water, and when they hit a wave or whatever, there nose bogs down and they get water in the belly pan, and we ALL know what THAT means.

glug
glug
glug

So how to solve this is the let out the limiters, I don't have a picture of them handy, but maybe somebody else does, this will let the sled "stand up" a LOT more, which will help her keep her nose above the water, and keep water out of the belly pan.

The triples ARE alot heavier, and water something like 10lbs/gallon right? so it doesn't take much water before you're weighed down ALOT and that'll sink you every time.

Also, Sled_dog, if it was an SX 700 it was a triple, they introduced 'em in MY '97 and they've always been triples, it's just the 600's that where twins until 99 (when they went blue, instead of red) that the 600's went triple, the 500's have always been twins.

hope that helps and saves a few yammi's from swimming with the fishies

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
O ya, and sled_dog, if that's that phazer that you where studding, don't even think about it man, studs don't exactly float, if it's unstudded tho, phazers jump puddles great. I used to do it lots, I would just stick to shallow water (1-2ft)

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I know that and I said about testing with it before I told him about the studs. Also if you take a light to the outside of the SXR on the under belly and look at the inside I think they have spots in the under belly where water could get in it.

that is what happens on a Yamaha Viper when you loosen the limiters. We were leaning way forward to keep her down too.

Edited by - Sled_Dog on February 17 2002 3:09:59 PM

·
Registered
506 Posts
ya, with loosened limiters, yami's can really stand up, but it means alot more slider wear to, plus down pressure on the ski's makes it easier to steer on the trails, so they come with the limiters pretty tight.

Edited by - Junior on February 18 2002 6:20:20 PM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts