·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.localnews8.com/news/local/4953056.html

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That is a good story!!! I think everyone riding out there should watch this its kina scary to think of this kinda stuff but it happens!!

DW

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Never think you are safe, especially when dealing with mountains an avalanches. Always carry your gear. We don't want the next guy to be you.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Thats sad.. That make this backpack, were when the snow's coming, you pull a handle, and you float with a huge air bubble above the snow.

Thats really sad.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Jeez..............That is gonna make me think when we go up to Cooke City, I hate to say this but, I kind of don't want to go up to the mountains anymore. That is really sad.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Originally posted by ArcticCat1
[br]Jeez..............That is gonna make me think when we go up to Cooke City, I hate to say this but, I kind of don't want to go up to the mountains anymore. That is really sad.
No dont take this as something to make you not want to ride mountains. Instead make it something to make you show respect for the terrain you are in. Be careful and no where you are and what is around you. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY USE YOUR GEAR!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by xtralettucetomatoe580
[br]
[br]Jeez..............That is gonna make me think when we go up to Cooke City, I hate to say this but, I kind of don't want to go up to the mountains anymore. That is really sad.
No dont take this as something to make you not want to ride mountains. Instead make it something to make you show respect for the terrain you are in. Be careful and no where you are and what is around you. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY USE YOUR GEAR!
and im guessing in his case buy some gear.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Originally posted by WY_rider
[br]
Originally posted by xtralettucetomatoe580
[br]
and im guessing in his case buy some gear.
Well I was talking about the guy in the video who had been riding for 20 years and wasnt wearing his gear. But Arcticcat1, $300 is a fair price to pay in return for your life. You may not see an Avy the whole time out there and you may see one off in the distance. But if your eight feet under the snow you will be wishing you had that beacon on.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]I think this should be a sticky. everyone should watch this.
I agree!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
ahem, yeh whatever Jesse...That is sad but it would never stop me from going to the mountains.

I think it should be a sticky to.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Excellent story, Don't be afraid of riding in the mountains but do go prepared.
Your brain is the single most important tool you can have.
Take a course in avalanche safety. My instructor was more concerned with leaving an inclinometer behind than a beacon.
Take your time and assess the terrain, Beacon is only a search and rescue tool. Better if you don't need to use it.
But as in this case have a beacon too!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good video, Beacon, shovel, and a probe. Most importantly know the terrain and use common sense. One of the biggest is staying off of south facing slopes they warm up and become very dangerous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
thats some sad and scary stuff rihgt there

·
Registered
27 Posts
http://www.localnews8.com/story.cfm?nav=news&storyID=65

link changed

Be safe out there. I have already lost a friend at snowmass this season so please use your head in the BC.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts