Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this new (used) fox shock recently, and when i went to go put it in the stock location, the rod would bind up on the arm. So i though maybe with some tweaking i could just move the shock to one of those other locations and get some longer arms. After i did all that, now I think that it wont be able to pivot so it will just snap or bend those arms. What you guys think?
Anyone know maybe why the shock was binding up top there? And when i mean that, the shock was hitting on the mount hard enough that i could get the shock in the stock location.
Also does anyone have a better setup I could do, or a sugestion or two?

Thanks fanatics and merry christmas

20101226113135453_19619.jpg

20101226113131109_19619.jpg

20101226113127281_19619.jpg

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Keep the stock mounting location. Your asking for trouble trying to re-arrange the way the suspension works. I'm not sure I totally get the problem your having? Also is that shock the same length as the old one? I also believe you need to move your trailing rods up a hole.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do agree with what your saying. Re aranging componets could cause issues. But the problem i had is the rear arm mount didnt have enough clearence for the rod. Its hard to explain but i wil try to get a picture. thanks for the imput empire. As far as shock length its as same as the resivor shock i used to have.
20101226204020812_19619.png

So when i have it in the stock location the shock rod bottoms out where the top white arrow is. there isnt enough clearence from the hole to the bottom side of the mount to clear the shock.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Your rear arm may be damaged, as that's how I have ran my setup with both my zr and zl rear arms(same dimensions). Are the shock dimensions the same aswell?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the front shock is taller but that all worked out well before. can anyone post some stock zr3 chassis sock sizes so i can double check. the rod dia should be the same though.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
This is a very popular cat problem. Well not a cat problem but user problem. I have learned myself the hardway. If you install the shock wrong it will bend and the rods will bend. Very expensive fix! I did it last year
2009120202211576_521.jpg
I don't have the time right now to search and find the thread where we all discussed it. But you should search for it and find it. It has been brought up here on the forum in probably 20 threads I have read in 10 years.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the imput matt. With that picture there i dont actualy see whats wrong. is the lower shock mount to far forward?

as far as why mine wouldnt line up i see that there is a big ole nasty weld bead on the mount. looks like maybe it broke and was put back in. ill throw a pit up later to see what you guys think.

ok so matt i will figure out whats wrong and not instal my shock differently lol.

thanks!

actually you can see the weld slag in the first picture. maybe previous owner attempted a fix?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts