Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what type of studs everybody runs out there. Steel, carbide, stainless, round point, wedge or my favorite, chisel tooth. I used to run Woodys 60 degree carbides, but couldnt really get it to hook up on the ice for the occational drag race. I switched to Woodys 7mm chisel tooth studs and WOW! Traction is not a problem anymore, but the drawback is I have to be careful crossing roads and riding the shoulder because it will wear them down real quick. I get about 1 year of good riding with them. I also run the 7mm studs instead of the 5/16" studs for the weight difference. The 7mm Woodys are super strong and if one breaks its because I hit a rock. I still run the 7mm 60 degree carbides though in my wifes Indy 500 classic. For you guys out west where studs are banned, oh well. Just sit and spin!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Gimme a break, Chisel tooth! Come on, worst stud ever!

Just kidding around man

I run carbide tipped steel studs... I think. They are Woody's Gold diggers, they are going bye bye with my sled though, I'm not sure what I should purchase for my new sled. I guess I have awhile to think that over, I'll probably go with something similar to the ones I have now.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yup i got the woodys gold digger too, got 96 of em, and when i put a new track on, im gonna put 120 excles i got outa polaris for cheap,

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have junk studs they are TCD's came with the sled when i bought'em...they are comin off thats for sure...not a stud fan

Duct tape the only real solution

GO BIG or GO HOME!!!!
TEAM TRICKY

·
Registered
637 Posts
I used to run gold diggers, then I got a new track and didn't run any studs for a season.. I'll never do that again... this year I got some cheapies that were on sale 'king carbide' or something, they look almost exactly like the gold diggers.. but time will tell...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey 650 Indy, Welcome to the TUSF!

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
243 Posts
For us westerners - studs don't do diddely in 6' of powder anyway. That's the best riding you can have!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
runnin 144 woody's gold diggers with red powdercoated aluminum backers on my 2000 Triumph...just installed this past August....look for a "how to" artcile coming soon......

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
322 Posts
We use Woody's...my dad said he'll use nothin else now. He's tried Sabers and they bent the first ride last year, and his buddy used Stud Boy's before too, same thing. So he'll only use Woody's for now on.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Used to use Woody's too until I found Extreme Max stainless steel . Had them on for 2 years now, and they still look great and no problems. You can buy 2 sets of these for the price of 1 set of Woody's.

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!

'93 XLT 580
'00 Indy Triumph

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some more info I forgot to mention when I wrote the article. Back in the mid 90's I replaced the studs in my XLT with Roetin carbide tip screw in studs. After just one ride. about 70 miles, 25 carbide tips were gone. Odd. Next ride, 60 miles, 12 more were gone. I'm talking just the carbide tip was missing, not the whole stud. Out of 144 studs, 37 were broke after just 2 rides. I called Roetin and asked what was up. They said they had a production problem and to send back the broken studs and they would replace them. I did, they did. But more broke after more rides and they would not replace them. I treat my sled better than most people treat their kids. Never spun the track on dirt or pavment. Never drove on rocks and nailed it. Just trail riding on good snow and lakes. After that expieriance with Roetin, I never bought any more of their products. I can count on one hand the number of Woodys studs that I have broke over the past several years. I'm sure there are more good stud companies out there, but I know of one that I can prove.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yea, heard same thing about them. Woody's...that's the way to go.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I don't have studs and probably won't get them till I have a sled that has a little more power to need them. I use Woody's carbides and they are great. I haven't tried anything else, but I find that I should just stick with a good thing.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts