Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what was your worst wreck? Just interested in everyones stories. Mine wasn't bad at all, I took a jump and it was angled really weird but looked fine when you looked at it. Anyway I ended up on one ski while I tried to save it, then I tried to push the sled back with my foot, well my foot slipped and I fell right off the sled, I went rolling down the hill and looked where the sled was, it was following me...and fast! I scrambled at the bottom of the hill the sled and I were having a slide on to get out of the sleds way, once the sled got to the bottom of the hill, it rolled over and landed on its skis, results->slightly bent handlebar, a few scratches on winshield and hood. It ended up being better than I thought it would.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Okay heres mine.. Its really bad. If you have an easy stomach I suggest not reading this...

I was on the ice, and went around a corner, my back end slid out and I went into a spin, I hit a patch of snow while I was sliding and the sled fell on its side...
results - 1 inch crack in the cowling!

[:D] Well I guess it wasnt that bad...

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Well I got hit on the side by another sled at about 30mph, it bent the trailing arm and belly pan,we both fell off but we were all right.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
well.....I had a passanger on the back of my 96 touring le. anyways we were going on a upward hill at an angle and the passenger leaned the wrong way and the sled rolled. there was a fence ,so people wouldnt go over the driveway, that i rolled under. My leg got crushed by the sled but thats it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well we were flying across this field and hit an ice patch for some reason the sled when side ways and started to tip so I bailed off. The sled went end over end twice you see we were doing about 50mph and the sled only weighs 300 lbs. Well my freind was behind me and it was sort of dark, all he saw was the sled go end over end a couple of times and thought I was on it. He stopped imediatly and saw me laying in the snow and he came running over because he thought I was hurt or even worse. Well I was just surprised at the arieal show the sled did and guess what it landed on its rubber and was still running, cracked the windsheild and grill and bent the ski alittle. well that was it for the night and we drove it home and repaired it as best as possible you see 1973 parts are alittle far and few between. Also guess what full cleaked tracks don't grab real well on ice lmao. Could have been worse.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
i was cruzin along a few days after i picked up a 1976 mercury trail twister 340 fan...well the powder was nice and i was hittin like 55-60
well, i plowed a nice pile w/ my tractor and i decided to jump it...not realizing i was heading straight for my big ole barn. Did not get much air, but realized i had no brakes...didnt know until tehn and i careened towards teh broad side of the barn.(yes i can hit a broad side of a barn)
anyways i hit it goin like 30 and bent the skis straight up(old leaf spring style), cracked tehm up pretty bad, but the luckiest part was i hit inbetween a set of stairs taht go up about 3 feet to the shop by about 5" on the left side and a tractor with a snow plow on it by about 6" on the right side. My sled is 47" wide at teh widest point....ill count my blessings from now on.

oh, i just got home from town court cause i didnt have insurance proof while riding...got out of it though :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My worst crash wasnt even that bad.. but i still plan on riding alot longer so something worse might come up.. but what happened to me was me and 2 other buddys of mine was flying threw a path... and the path was pretty much straight for ever.. but then on this one part it veered left and fast...well the kid leading didnt go left and went right threw the little fence that was set up... and just busted threw all fine.... the second kid hit a barrel and got throw off his little MXZ 440 racin sled. well then i was the third guy trailin everyone... and the second kid was layin on the grownd... i just followed there tracks and ended up hitting the second kid running him over but in the event of running him over i got throw off and hit the fence... lucky the fence was no more that a drift fence.. so it wasnt all to bad.. but lession learned.. know the trails befor you go 80 down them!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Mine wasn't too bad either, just resulted in the most damage to date on my sled. We were popping cornices and right as I went to jump up I got kicked to the side, so when I landed up top I was sideways to the cornice. It kind of broke and down me and the sled went!! It rolled over me then rolled a couple more times before settling at the bottom, ripped all groumets and screws out of windshield and the cowl got a little 1 inch crack in it!!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
LOL! How was the poor guy you ran over!?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
doing like 80 or 90 hit a mogul on a ski slope when we were racing alst year on the Viper. Surprised me and I caught like 20 foot of air and went like 25-30 feet out and came down on my skis. Forced me forward so I pegged the throttle since my hadns were still on the bars. Track hit the ground and stood it up since it was spinning so fast now. Hit another bump which unbalanced me and I rolled on the side, stupid me I Didn't let go and was dragged along side the sled, finally let go and it coasted ot a stop about a foot from a drop off into some trees. I was amazed cause I realized if I hadn't held on like an idiot the sled would have gone off into the trees and surely been totalled. Broke the throttle lever I pegged it so hard when I came down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spring 02, Me and my buddy were travelling to the labrador snoblast, 250km trip. I was towing our gas and other stuff in a komatic (labrador word for sled)we were cruising down the trail at about 40-50km/hr when we came to a left turn that crested a hill at the same time. Unfortunately for me the trail was quite slippery and coming the other way at the bottom of the hill was a guy I knew towing 2 loads of fire wood, approx 1500lb of wood, behind a polaris widetrak. I braked to avoid him. and he did the same. As soon as I applied my brakes the weight of my komatic took the rear of my ski-doo around to the front and in his lane. I was basically sliding down the hill side on to the trail, with a 400lb load in tow. My ski-doo ran out of slippery patch and dug in hard. Needless to say I was pitched off my machine. I don't remember much from there. My buddy told me that my sled did two barrel rolls with the komatic in tow. The two sleds didn't collide. I came to hugging the front of teds widetrack, one foot was touching the track and my head was resting on his bonnet. My helmet was cracked from wacking my head off a tree. apparently I rolled down the hill in front of my renegade, whacked off the tree and into the widetrack. I jumped up to assess the damage. My bonnet had a very slight crack, handlbars bent, light molding cracked, mountain rack was split in two and my hitch was twisted right over. The bridol on my komatic was twisted like an S. We Straightened up the bridol with an axe and a tree, I bought a new light mold in Charlottetown, we pulled the bend out of my bars, took off the mountain rack (what was left), my buddy towed the komatic, Ted went on home, and we continued our trip. I was pretty sore the next day but nothin much. We made it to the sno blast and had a great weekend. The biggest bruise was my ego. And my wallet for the new helmet. Glad I had it on!! Wouldn't trade the memory for anything!!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
my worst could have been bad but wasnt. I was only like 12, and we were headding back to the house we were staying at, and then we had to pack up and leave cause it was sunday. I was just kinda bummed and i wassnt really paying attention to the guide wire (those wires that go from the telephone poles into the ground) that i was headding for. I had it full throttle too because i was going slightly uphill in powder. Next thing i know i was flipping in the air and then couldnt breath. I hit the wire doin i would say about 20-25 mph. My mom said that i just like did a backflip off the sled and then landed on my back. Luckly the wire hit my chest cause i was standing up, and not my neck. If it would have hit my neck i mite not be here typing this to you. I ended up having a fractured pinky finger and had to replace the shock cap on the sled (1992 phaser). Me and my dad stole one of those yellow plastic tubes that cover the wire, and brought it upnorth and put it on the one I hit so that hopefully no one else would make the same the same mistake!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
id have to say today's crash was the worst for me and this is how it happened,i dropped my sks off at the dealer to have a couple things checked out
so im out of a sled untill tomorrow sometime anyhow a few of my friends were taking their sleds to a track we built on a friends land right off the power lines and convinced me to just take my atv seing how the rain ruined the power lines anyway..once we got there i was having a blast flying around the track just as fast as they were,we all started taking turns launching off all the jumps and on one of the doubles i didnt clear it and slammed into it,went over the handle bars lol and then the 4-wheeler drove right up and over my back..can u say ouchhhh..

·
Registered
226 Posts
This happened about 5 or 6 years ago. . .
1977 Yami Exciter 440 (my first sled)
I hit a snow buried stump at about 25 mph. Bent the right ski in half at 90 deg. Rolled it over 3 times, smashed the windhshield, snapped off the gas cap, bent the handle bars, and cracked the cowl in several places. This crash was not alcohol related!
I found a sled dealership open on Saturday. I replaced the bent ski, removed what was left of the windshield, straightend the handle bars and rode the rest of the weekend with a rag stuffed in the filler neck.
Oh Yeah, I had no injuries, thank God!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Well I haven't wrecked any sleds, but 2 weeks ago I took a tumbling ride off the sled after hitting an ice heave at about 50mph on lake. Neck and shoulers hurt for a few days.Sled stayed upright. A friend went off right about the same spot 2 years ago at 90mph. There was minimal snow so he just slid along way on ice. Sled rolled and toasted the hood.

·
Registered
821 Posts
i never really have had any wreck other than i hit something...never found out what and broke a steering rod or connecting rod whatever they are called but about a week ago or so me and two other guys were out one had a old kawasaki and he was in front then the second guy was riding his uncles friends 2000 arctic cat Z 440. we were in a field crossing a road right in front of my house he climbed up on the road just fine then the snow on the other side was as hard as a rock because we got a lot of snow then it warmed up and then it froze but we had a 4 or 5 inches on top but anyways he hit the snow on the side and the sled was pretty well off the ground there for he couldn't steer. there was a tree 15 feet or so in front of him and he hit it head on. thank god he jumped off right before it hit because it went end over end or flipped once then it sort of land and rolled a couple times. the hood was about 20 feet away with black plastic everywhere and spark plugs everywhere it was something to see being i was right behind him. the guy that owned it didn't even seem to care to much he had insurance and i think it is totaled never heard the final verdict though.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
My worst isn't too bad, but was pretty painful. I'm riding along in the ditch, prolly 30mph, and going along good right, no obsticles. The snow is actually decent, a couple inches of fluff over the hardpack, so I'm not too concerned, but it was hiding a log right next to the path. Well, the path in the ditch is roughly 1 sled width, and I was only half in it, half going through the fluff. All of the sudden my sled is pretty much at 90 degrees, one ski wayyy up in the air. I manage to hang onto the handlebars, and get my left hand to hit the brakes. I veered off, and stopped, and just rolled off my sled. The pain was incredible. My right leg felt like someone it it with a jackhammer right in my thigh. What happened is there was either a cinder block, or a log buried in teh fluff, and it hit my right ski, and just rocked me. The sled was fine, but my leg hurt for the rest of the day.

G

·
0 Posts
Well my dad backed over the old 340 Olympic with a road maintainer. I did manage to get off without gettin ran over! The sled was a pancake and he was upset. It did give me a good excuse to get a sled that was built after I was born though!

·
Registered
150 Posts
5 days after I bought my new sled I went riding with two friends, we met up in a field and rode to one of their houses (me and the other guy already knew the way between our houses, but not to the other friend). well we made it to his house and everything was fine, but on the way back, I was riding in the middle, the friend that didnt know the trail was in front, and the friend that knew the trail was in back (this is a mistake). The friend in front wanted to see how long it took to dust me (being the relativly new rider in the group, though I did have minimal experience with his sled) so he was flying down the trail taking the corners real nice and tight. I did something stupid, and that was to try and keep up with him in the corners. My sled is a good 100 lbs more than his, and I am not as experienced so I cant corner as well. The proper method would have been to slow way down in the corners and catch up in the straights (him on a 440 stud-less and me on a 680 studded allows for quick catching up on the straights). Well, I tried to take a corner fast, and was holding it, but then the embankment went away and I drifed out of the corner and into a tree. My friend that knows the trails told me that it was a particualarly nasty corner that he always takes slow (this is why he should have been in front). He also said that, being a public trail, if we met up with any other riders there would be a collision. Luckily, All I did was bend the bumper and a hood mount which only cost me $65 for the bumper (it broke while trying to straighten it). I hate to think of what could have happened if we met up with other riders. Both me and my friend have unregistered sleds, so we dont do much riding on public trails. We wanted to register this year, but he didn't do it (I dont know why) and I bought mine 2 weeks ago, so why pay for registration when I dont have any money and the season is comming to an end? Anyways, this should be a lesson to take it easier on the trails, especially public ones, I never met another snowmobile on the trail (I seriously mean I have NEVER seen another rider that was moving, I saw two once that were resting in a field). Oh well, you live, you learn.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Worst Biff:

We were ridin in an old open bank gravel pit about 100 acres in size and there were a bunch small plow hills (perfect jumps), and large sand banks (perfect high-marks).

There were 4 of us and we all kinda went our separate ways and did our own things for about an hour.

I found some perfect plow banks, and had done some sweet launches with a couple handsfree landings to boot. Then, I saw a spot I could make about a 30 foot jump to the back side of another bank (way cool). After checking out the front side and landing area I rode around the back side of the bank, lined it up, and popped the bank.

At the peak of the jump I realized thatI had gone off the wrong bank... and there was no downside hill to land on. No big deal right....WRONG.

I was headed into a large pot-hole where a big boulder was dug out of, it didn't really look that bad from the air, but when I hit it, I came down with the back of the track on the back edge of the hole, and the skis went about 3 feet down into this hole. BIFF.

When I hit I bent the bar all the way up, luckily the skis were far enough down in the hole to get me to endover and land flat on my back after I took out the windshield. Lucky there was 4 feet of snow to cushion my fall. Even with that, it knocked the wind out of me.

I just laid there assessing what just happened and if everything was where it should be. It was kinda comfortable too, and I just listened to the sounds. My sled idling, the guys riding in the distance, a slight ringing in my ears from riding all day. It was kinda cool.

The worst pain out of the whole thing was screwin' up my back, and that happened getting the sled out. You try pullin' a nosedived ZL500 straight up out of a hole. My triceps were screaming for about 2 days and I had a Mamma bruise on my right forearm too.

None of my buddies saw it, but the bodyprint I left in the snow was too cool.

(o;

DNO

1 - 20 of 288 Posts