Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if it is possible to rebuild the top end of a yz 125 yourself. I was told you would have to take it to a mechanic. Is this true. I seized the engine on this machine. Will it need to be bored or just honned. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was a mechanic that told you that right. I've rebuilt all kinds of bikes in my back yard. Takes about 2 hours to pull the top end off. I'd take the pot into a shop to get it bored though need to be bang on for size. It will save you a lot of money. rebuilt '98 yz 250 for about $250cdn including boreing.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
^what he said..

·
Registered
502 Posts
willy,

Depends on how bad it was seized. If you got lucky, and didn't score the cylinder you can get by with piston, rings, wrist pin and bearing, and cleaning the aluminum out of the cylinder with muratic acid. If there is scoring of the cylinder or the nikisil is flaking then you would need to get that fixed. I suggest sending it in to someone like milenium technologies. I sent mine from my 2001 yz125 to them with a 1/64 inch deep groove in my cylinder and it came back like new, and was lots cheaper than buying a new jug.
Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts