Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help guys, I know I can't get mega-horses out of a 440 fan(actually only 431cc's) but I can't afford to trade in or get another sled.My reasoning is that you almost always have to spend SOME cash on a used machine after you buy it.
So, does anyone know firsthand how I can get a little more from my little Z?I am curious about those UFO thingys you put in your carb slides.Do they actually give alittle more hp?They claim 3/4-1hp per 100cc.On a 50 hp sled that's near 10 percent gain for $80cdn.

I would love to get more info or hear any ideas some of you experienced tuners have.There doesn't really seem to be any aftermarket performance goodies available.

Oh yeah, the sleds a '96 A/C Z440.
I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i have some buddies that use them ufos and they say they work great but are hard to dial in they tell me good luck

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know a thing about those UFO devices. The best advice I could give you is to do all the basics, first (new plugs, new top-quality drive belt, clutches in tip-top shape, thoroughly cleaned carb(s) and fuel system, properly adjusted track, good synthetic oil in the chaincase, and a good synthetic injection oil). After that, being in proper tune (jetting) for the temp and altitude you ride at will help a GREAT deal. See the thread entitled "Gadget for non-compensated carb'd sleds" for something that will help with that, as well. All this should give you all you can hope to get out of your Z 440. It gets mine down the trail juuust fine...
[/font=Arial]

·
Registered
502 Posts
Being that we raced a Z-440 for a few years, I figured I could help a little tiny bit. In my opinion those UFP things are junk. We never saw anything with them at all. Not even a little tiny bit. They are a waste of money that you could just as well throw in the wind. Clutching and gearing is where you will find the most out of that sled. You can gear it for more acc, but less top end. or the other way around. Clutching will bring it to life once you find the right combo. I would give you some ideas, but I don't have my race journal in the office and I don't wanna go out to the trailer to get it.

Jetting also helps a ton!

Jr.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It would seem that like always saying something is junk is wrong unless youve tried them on everything. I have them on a modified Ultra and they are amazing. They dont do anthing on WOT but low and midrange they really did help on my set up. I got better milage as an added bonus. The lower midrage inprovements were the best. It made my roundslides snappier than the flats I have on my 800. Im not sure you would see the same improvements on a small sled. I am over 150hp on the Ultra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts