Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bad luck. The zerk broke off when I pulled my grease gun off. I tried to thread in a standard zerk, but the stupid thing is a pressed in system and very hard steel.

It's a lot of work to replace that flange assembly. [attachment=51637]

Any ideas? The wire nut is just there to show where it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can't remember but if you remove the secondary and the three nuts on the flange won't it just slid off the shaft??Or you could mig a nipple on.Loosen the adaptor on the end of your grease gun or more nipples will be broken off.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think he's right^^^^, remove the secondary-one bolt-and try yo get that flange off.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Or get a needle fitting for your gun and just grease it. On my 440 I can't get to one of the fitting without loosening the track. I use the needle and grease it with no problems.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
looks like your bolts for the flange are going through from the wrong side. the nuts are supposed to be on that side you see in the pic. easy to take on and off actually. looks like someone put it together wrong. i'd say you should go through the pain in the butt and get it apart. then put it together the right way.

as far as putting a new zirk in there, maybe just bang a threaded one into it or get the correct replacement and do it right. not sure what to tell you on that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...I am just going to pull the airbox and carbs off, and pull that little flange off.

I tried putting in a grease zerk, and it striped out.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
woooooah, i'm waaaay sorry. got ahead of myself. those are right. i looked too fast, was thinking of the driveshaft, your issue is on the jackshaft. you're on the right track. appologies.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just remove the driven and pull the airbox off and you have access to the 3 nylok nuts that hold the bearing flange.
Remove the flange and tap the hole with a 1/4-20 tap then screw the new zerk in using red Loctite. No more than 20 min job.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I replaced the flange. The Airbox is under the steering stem, which of course is under the engine [:(]. I decided to drill the rivets on the airbox and pry it over.

[attachment=54577]

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts