Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so while in vermont over the weekend i did some work to my dads 95 ZR 580 efi. it needed a TPS sensor and some fresh gas in it.

once i got it running i took it for a blast and holy crap, that is a fun sled to ride. it handles like its on rails, flies like it has wings, and once the motor revs up it just takes off from under you. i have never ridden a sled that just turned so good without lifting the inside ski and flew so level. it makes me wonder why some people talk trash about the old ZRs.

i had so much fun on that old 580 that i think i'll make it my primary sled next year!

just had to share what i think of the ZR580s.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I had that same sled, EFI, that thing was like a rocket on lakes or groomed trails, but the suspension sucked, not much travel to them. Very durable, nailed a stop sign with one and very little damage was done to her.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, it doesnt have much travel. but you dont need much suspension when youre in the air most of the time. hahaha

these sleds are rock solid, mine has 9,500 miles on her and the chassis is still as tight as the day it was new.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Great sleds. Thinking about getting one for myself and doing the AGLT mod.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, i was thinking about it, and im gonna restore my dads 580 this summer.

its not in too bad of shape right now but it needs a really good cleaning under the hood, a new hood, handlebars, suspension parts sandblasted and painted, shocks rebuilt, new front springs, maybe i'll take the back paint off the tunnel and polish it since its starting coming off anyway. new tie rod ends, and a bunch of little stuff. i have most of the parts, just gotta get the room in the garage to do it.

as for the hood, if i can id like to have the decals painted on. then it would look way better than original. id probably do a couple other things to it but not molest it too much. like green running board grips and a low black windshield.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I love my ZR580. They do handle like they are on rails and it has plenty of power. I also love how the thing looks; one of the best looking sleds out there IMO. Here is mine:

2009614164735211_22897.jpg
[thumb]

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agreed, i too think the 580 is one of the best looking sleds out there. i cant wait to see what mine is gonna look like after i fix it up.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yea i almost bought one but they guy wanted way to much for, 1500 and he couldnt even get it to run. They do look good but i personally i dont think they look better than the legendary wedge indy! nice sleds though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My brother in law had one (1997) that his wife now rides. Great sled. We put a 2" camoplast track on it! What a blast to ride. Suspension is a hell of a lot better than my 1998 Summitx.

1,792 Posts
TheFastMan said:
I love my ZR580. They do handle like they are on rails and it has plenty of power. I also love how the thing looks; one of the best looking sleds out there IMO. Here is mine:

2009614164735211_22897.jpg
[thumb]
They look good, and I tried buying one, but everyone else wanted every one I was interested in more than I did. [Disappointed] I realized I had to step down one engine size for a reasonable priced machine. The 580 has a flatter, pointier hood, but other than that my sled looks as nice now.

I grew up drooling over that El Tigre in your avatar. I think it was the '80 or '81 that looked the sharpest of all the years they made them - even when they combined them with the EXT name.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
PolarisIndySKS said:
Yea i almost bought one but they guy wanted way to much for, [highlight=yellow]1500[/highlight=yellow] and he couldnt even get it to run. They do look good but i personally i dont think they look better than the legendary wedge indy! nice sleds though.
That is a little high on the price. Sold mine at Haydays a few years ago, running great, a little bit of damage, sold it for $750.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts