Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two AC zr 600s, both of which are efi. One of them however has been blown up and I am rebuilding the motor, but would also like to turn it into a nice sled to screw around on (ditch bangin and boondocking) but would also need to use it as a reliable trail sled. I already have some clutching done, but still have a few questions

1. Which would be better- twin pipes or a single, I am thinking of black magic either way but don’t know what would be best for my application
2. I understand I’ll need a chip but what would be best, my thought was the black magic Hotrod chip
3. Vforce or Boyesen reeds
And lastly, does anyone know if the early sno pro skids from the zr3 chassis will bolt into my sled, I have thought about a long track but if the suspension isn’t the best, its kind of useless in southern Wisconsin

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
single pipe, who ever pipe go with there clutching and jetting or chip programer.

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
Black Magic went out of business...so you will probably be better off going with D&D Racing.

That being said...

Single pipe, EFI chip, clutch kit...all from D&D. It will make it run like a while new animal. I am running that setup along with a D&D silencer and VForce reeds. Just remember to run 91 octane in it.

The twin pipes will give you more power on top end, where as the single will give you more power all around, as well as a bit more torque on the bottom, which is nice for ditchbanging.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Quinlan said:
Black Magic went out of business...so you will probably be better off going with D&D Racing.

That being said...

Single pipe, EFI chip, clutch kit...all from D&D. It will make it run like a while new animal. I am running that setup along with a D&D silencer and VForce reeds. Just remember to run 91 octane in it.
I agree, D&D is awesome for cat performance parts. And since you were considering long track, I'd say keep your suspension, go with aftermarket clicker shocks, and go with a 1.5" track.

I agree with quinlan. The single pipe IMO sounds better as well, the twin pipes, all though they give you more HP at higher RPMS ( and sometimes torque loss ), they always sound like they're straining. Single pipe with a can and she'll sound great, as well as more HP and torque.

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
BRP-4-LIFE said:
And since you were considering long track, I'd say keep your suspension, go with aftermarket clicker shocks, and go with a 1.5" track.
I wouldn't. IMO, one of the best suspension upgrades for that era ZR is a SnoPro skid. The stock ZR skids have a few week links that the SnoPro skids do not have, including better shocks and rail braces.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Well then. Does the Z 440 snopro have the same rear skid as the ZR 440 snopro?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, this was a lot of help. I do remember reading something about Black Magic going out of business but i have been seeing alot of BM stuff on ebay from their closeout or something.

But the sno pro skid will bolt right in, right?

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
BRP-4-LIFE said:
Well then. Does the Z 440 snopro have the same rear skid as the ZR 440 snopro?
I don't know. I've never seen a Z440 in person...the microfiche's make them look pretty close. I didn't look into much detail though.

WIzr600 said:
But the sno pro skid will bolt right in, right?
I would imagine it should. I put a '99 SnoPro skid in my '98 ZR...bolted right up. I do believe the skids from an 00-01 will fit fine too...they were the years in the ZR3 chassis.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I wanted to keep the stock skid frame what would be a good aftermarket clicker shock?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
well more importantly you want a good front shock in the skid. i feel that its more important than a rear shock. you could egt one out of a cross country.

·
Registered
890 Posts
smhekma said:
If I wanted to keep the stock skid frame what would be a good aftermarket clicker shock?
You could probably pick up a Sno Pro skid for what your going to pay for shocks, they will come with the clicker suspension. Find one out of a 00-01 Sno Pro, it will bolt up to your 600.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts