Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as of right now im picking up a 2002 zr 600 efi cross country has revs apv all gas shocks ex wasnt ridden hard i picked it up for 1750..it looked like there was carbon built up on the plug but it sat for awhile and ridden only once last year i was told..but how do you clean the apv and what do you clean them up with and also behind the secondary clutch it looks like it could be missing washer or somthing on the lets say driveshaft could i be wrong...hope you understand what im asking

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
The ZR CCE's were relatively solid sleds. Before the Firecats came out, I always wanted one. They were the "SnoPro" package of that era, which basically consisted of a better suspension (shocks, specifically), different graphics, and a 1.25" lug track. That motor and the batteryless EFI system is about as bulletproof as the Cats get.

There is a sticky in the "How-To" section on how to clean a couple different types of the APV valves. For ease of searching, it can be found HERE.

If there is play in the secondary (ie. you can slide it back and forth on the shaft), that may be the way it is setup. They refer to that as a "floating" secondary. Having room to float allows the secondary to automatically align itself with the primary as it spins. My '98 ZR is setup this way, and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quinlan said:
That motor and the batteryless EFI system is about as bulletproof as the Cats get.
the 98 we have has been the biggest POS we have ever owned, we have put 3 stators in the last 2 years (only owned for 3), we have multi meter tested it twice for shorts it checks out 100% clean, first time we just rewound it, second was new one, then we rewound the new one, as of right now it run ok but our 600 polaris kicks its ass, even our 440's jump ahead of it sometimes, it fowls plugs left and right, and uses some water so starting to wonder maybe head gasket, anyway hope you have better luck with yours then we did

if ya need any parts let me know we might decided to part it yet

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
The late 90's were known for stators, the later models were a little better, but could still be problematic. I always forget about that as I, or any of my friends (number of Cat guys), never had a single problem with them. I have read that drilling out the magneto case/cover helps significantly, as heat is a large contributing factor for failure. Some were definitely more problematic than others though.

The ZR2 chassis was never known for being quick, as they only had ~100hp. The ZR3 is noticably quicker due to the addition of power valves, putting out ~115 hp if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I say got any pictures? A new sled thread must have pictures(should be a rule lol), You should really like this sled. Another thing is you got an 02 so the powervalves are really easy to clean. Just dont forget to get seals, you can get a set of winderosa's from your cat dealer for 6 bucks.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
My favorite sled from 02 back was the 02' MXZx 6/7/800 chassis, next is the ZR 6/800 CCE. The one I sold my friend survived a season and a half until it needed a complete overhaul, which was much much longer than any of his other sleds prior to that. Pretty solid chassis.

ELIMINATE THE IN-FRONT REAR SHOCK ADJUSTER! The lines have been known to bind causing shocks to lock up and destroy the skid. Other than that, they're pretty great.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Make sure that the apv cables are in adjusted correct or they could cause a loss in performance.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
it was a mean machine when we got it but that lasted for about the rest of the season after that it never was quite right first ride of the new season stator went out and problems snowballed from there, we summerize and store everything properly, but the definition of mean machine it alot different when going from a z440 to a zr600 vs a 700 rmk to a zr600

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had a 02 zr6cce. Bought it in the spring and sold it in the fall for $450 more than I paid. Best year for the zr, wide running boards, flat cornering was mostly back, efi. Sold it with over 6000 miles.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
nice

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i hope you like, i was a big arctic cat man but when they started givin fits at 3500 miles and our old polaris ran like a charm with well over 8000 milles i had to switch over so its my job to try and tlak you out of a cat, but since i didnt do that good luck you should enjoy it unless you have problems i loved ours when it worked good

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had a 2002 ZR600CCE for 4 long years and put quite a few miles on mine. I eliminated the adjustable suspension after I blew out the shock and the dealer raked me over the coals to fix it. It lasted about 1 ride and was shot again, lets just say he paid for a regular fox shock. I loved mine and it ran like a raped ape. If you keep the APV's clean and keep it clutched well it will run with the best of them. I only rid of mine after 2 trips to the mountains and deciding I needed a longer sled. I really enjoyed the snopro handle bars, fishbone tunnel supports, and 1.25 track. I never had any problems with mine other than the suspension which was fixed for good after the switch to a regular shock. Just make sure you keep up on maintenance and that should eliminate any future problems! Ps, if you look through my gallery you'll find pictures of mine and my avatar picture is taken in the Snowy Mountain Range where I rode the sled in the steep and deep!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys i did get it tonight i will have to get pics when i get time now what do i need to do to put a can on it with it being efi

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
You can swap out the can with an aftermarket one no problem. It's only when you get into pipe(s) that you need to worry about compensating the fuel system.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i was reading i thought where a couple people put on cans and it wouldnt run they put the stock on and it was fine

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Yes, some models have issues with running aftermarket cans. My 700efi is this way. Unfortunately, there is no real way of knowing if yours is one of them until you try...and as far as I know, there is nothing that can be done to cure it, except run the stock can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts