Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZR 600 that starts on fire melting the hood and then it runs like crap it wont idle but before it starts on fire it runs GREAT I hate this problem i have taken it to my dealer AND thief river falls, i try to get pictures of it but it wont start on fire until the next day and i never have a camera my warrenty is about to expire.... whats wrong? how can i fix it? why is this happening? lol ya know i think its got something to do with the scilencer, the mechanics did the same thing both times and didnt fix it arctic cat wouldnt believe it even though i had pics of the melted hood that they saw themselves...they just but just replaced parts and sent it back... its really starting to make me mad... they also had this problem with ZR 600 EFI's and this is the first and only prob with a regualar 600... PLEASE HELP ME, i am about ready to go to Thief river and raise hell if ya know what i mean..... if anyone can tell me whats up and whats doin it, it would be very appriciated Thanks for reading this huge message lol

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Please be more descriptive of how it catches fire. What area under the hood catches fire? Have you actually seen flames or did you just see the melted plastic?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Go raise hell. If it runs hot enough to melt your hood what does your motor look like inside?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have seen in on fire it, it is in by the muffler the right side of it to it under the muffler i took a laser and took a measurement of the muffler heat and it said 500 up.... normal? i dont think so...lol atleast i hope not....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i want to do but i am really into arctic-cat and i hate to yell at peeps mcpot lol the motor looks fine..... its really weird

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i want to do but i am really into arctic-cat and i hate to yell at peeps mcpot lol the motor looks fine..... its really weird

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
500 is totally normal for a temp at the muffler maybe even a touch low. Sounds like you are running really rich or something. How do your plugs look? Is the sled totally stock?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i rode it again last night and it kept on surgeing it wouldnt idle but today its running fine....i am goin out snowmobleing tonight with my buddies.... and i am bringing a camera... if it starts on fire i am goin straight down to Thief river falls first thing in the morning... the sled isnt totally stock....lol its got some black magic in her.... the plugs are fine... i moved the plug cap and the wire that is connected to it above another wire (cant think of the name for it right now...lol) and it runs fine...i think that spark plug wire was somehow choking it and making it run lean.... i dont know but if it starts on fire again i am goin to do what i should've done along time ago.... lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Can't you drop it off at thief river and have them take it for a run? If you end up with a fire and it melts an injector line or the drain on your carbs, you will really be up a sh*t creek. As for the temp my zr 600 runs about 1200 at the y wide open.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
A fellow in our area here had a ZR 580 EFI catch fire a few times. That's all I know about it though..

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i would take it back to the dealer and say FIX IT!!isnt that what the warenty is for?why should you even have to figure out what it is?you shouldnt!!if the dealer cant help you out for some reason id put insurance on it and beat the snot out of it and just wait for it to burn!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Usually when the muffler catches on fire it's because it filled with unburnt fuel. Some where your sled must be pumping in too much fuel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah it is running fine and the warrenty is about to expire... i dont think that they will fix a sled that runs boggy on the warrenty and they dont have any snow in thief river..... i am goin to ride the living sh*t out of it and if something breaks i am goin to ride it until it wont ride no mo then i am goin to bring it to thief river, wish me luck i am goin out after i get offline

1 - 14 of 14 Posts