Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a 2002 zr500 tunnel with the wide running boards. Would I be able to bolt it right up to my 2000 zr500 bulkhead with out modifications?

·
Registered
538 Posts
yup, they have the same bulkhead. i actually did that mod on a 2001 ZR600, a bit of a PITA to drill out all the rivets and get the sled that far stripped down. but the wider running boards make a huge difference when riding.

·
Registered
538 Posts
the seat and gas tank, engine, steering post, cross brace, belly pan, console, airbox, chaincase, jackshaft, driveshaft, suspension, track, cooling hoses. and aything else that gets in the way of getting to the rivets that hold the tunnel and bulkhead together.

the worst part is drilling out all the pop rivets because the tend to spin in the holes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
well, it depends. is your current tunnel damaged? how good are you at working on sleds? how cheap is the new tunnel? and how bad do you really want the wide running boards? lots of factors to be considered.

if you dont want to do the mod, you can always buy the tunnel for cheap, and if something should happen to your sled, you have a replacement on hand. and if you dont need it, sell it and make some money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am alright at fixxing stuff and the tunnel is $100 shipped to my door and my current tunnel except for the sagged running boards, its mint.

·
Registered
538 Posts
for 100 bucks i'd buy it, tunnels typically arent that cheap. the last time i bought a tunnel for an 01 ZR it cost me 275 and that was the cheapest i could find. the wider running boards make a huge difference and in the long run you'll be glad you did the mod.

the procedure isnt too complicated if you're familiar with your sled, it just takes some time to complete. my suggestion is to get a shop manual that has a step by step tear down of the chassis, engine, chaincase and everything else there is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts