Snowmobile Fanatics banner

ZR580 speedometer cable help

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BC_Dan 
#1 ·
my speedometer stopped working in my 1997 zr580 can anyone tell me what might be wrong, is it just my cable that has to be replaced or may it be the cable that goes to the chain case , i was told it might have broke off the pin from the cable in my chain case how much would this cost to repair

#2 ·
There is a square driver that is inserted into the end of the drive shaft and drives the speedometer adapter. You could have broken the insert (cheap, a pain sometimes to get the broken part out of the drive shaft), broken the cable, frozen the gear in the speedometer drive adapter, or...

It's VERY common when the driveline bearing starts to fail, it starts to drop, ever so slightly, which causes the square driver to shear. You think it's just the driver, but it's the bearing going bad that is the problem. Consider any speedometer failure in mid-90's arctic cats to be driveline bearing failures until proved otherwise!! Check that bearing, pronto!!

I have had 3 of my 4 cats do exactly that; speedometer stops, after much checking and replacing the cheap stuff, find a bad PTO bearing on the driveline.

#3 ·
More than likely your clutch side drive bearing is bad and the key the connects your speedometer to your drive shaft broken because of the wobbling.

Follow your speedo cable down to where is connects below your secondary clutch. Remove the speedo cable and spin it with your hand, if the speedometer moves than the cable is fine. If not, work back towards the speedo.

If the cable is fine, take off the plate and you will see the bearing that I was talking about before. This bearing going out is a common problem. If you are handy you can fix it for under $30.00. If you wait too long it will cost more to replace more components.

I guess I responded the same time as BC_Dan and agree with everything he said.

#4 ·
yeah i had the same thing happen on my 95 zr 580 replace the bearings and the speedo key the key is like a buck but the bearings for my sled were 101 dollars a piece from the dealer but you dont want em to fail out of the trail then your looking at a chaincase chain and possible tunnel work

#5 ·
Dang, that seems pretty excessive for a bearing. I think I paid about 120 for all four (two jackshaft bearings, two driveshaft bearings). The PTO driveline should be about 30 bucks if you buy a Cat part; there are other places to buy 'em a lot cheaper, such as bearing supply houses...

#6 ·
My Cat bearings were around $30.00 also, you mayy have have to replace the triangle supports also for about $10.00 to $20.00 more dollars.

I know some guys that cross reference their bearings at NAPA and get them even cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.