Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I think I have a tricky one here.I'm running a 97 ZRT 600 with 5500 miles on it.Lately its boggy on takeoff.[:(]
I just bought it this fall and it hasn't been this way from the start.It never had savage bottom end power, but if you nailed it from a stop it would take off nicely and power would kick in hardwithin 10 feet or so.[:)]
Now, when you punch it, it doesn't die out,but it kinda does nothingfor a sec,builds real slow up to about6000RPM and then kicks in fine.Top end power feels normal to me.
Now, I'll tell you what I know(or think I do);
It starts up fine,1st or 2nd pull(all the time).Idle is smooth and steady(approx 2000RPM).Pretty sure its not clutching or the belt.(I recently installed new primary spring and new belt,the clucth looked to be in good shape).Its not a fuel problem(I have been putting LOTS of fresh high-test thru it.
Now, any thoughts on this are very appreciated.[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a similar problem with bogging, the guys here gave me this link that was a goldmine :

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

My problem was the pilot jets, cleaned them out and I was back in business.

·
Registered
50 Posts
kingmort:

Do the jet clean first like Night Train said.
If that don't work you may need to change the slides in the carbs as well. I went through this 4 years ago with my ZRT 600. Most people do not know you can get different slides for the Mikuni carb. The factory ones had to much cutaway and when you realy jump on the throttle the momo goes lean for just a moment and then takes off, some times you can adjust this out by over richening the pilot jet adjustements. If you ease into it this does not happen as often. This gets worse the colder it gets. I don't remember the exact slide I changed to but I think it was a .5 cutaway when the stock factory slide was a 3.0 or something like that. When I jump on it now its all business, no pause or bog at all. If you need more info I will pull a slide and check it for you.

Good Luck [;)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas, I will try cleaning the carbs out.I'm a little sceptical that's it though.I already had 'em apart .I was looking for a loose jet or sticky float valve at the time.They looked extremely good(clean).As well, at the start of the season I removed the fuel tank,drained it and replaced with fresh high-test.

Topazal, changeing slides will be a last resort since I originally did not have this prob.

As well, I played around with the mixture screws and the engine responded noticeably to slight changes.Extra 1/2(on all 3 carbs) turn out put Idle RPM up to 3000.I could hear a diff on each carb as i went, too.This makes me sceptical of it being dirty pilot jets since each idle circuit seems to work properly.

I have been wrong before, so the carbs are coming off today for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THX topazal, I had a leaky crank seal on the PTO side, so I'm putting in a new seal before I go to a lot of work with anything else.If I'm real lucky that'll be the prob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts