Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is long gone and now with nearly a foot of snow on the ground I realize that I never did any of the repairs that I intended on doing (yet again)

Anyways, when doing the new track, drive cogs and bearings last spring I noticed that where the Tunnel attaches to the (bulkhead?) rest of the sled I have some broken rivets and others that are worn in the holes so there is some wiggle room. is this as simple as drilling out all the old rivets and replacing with new, using backer washers when required? or are there better ways to skin the cat ( no pun intended, honest!)

Are the factory style rivets sufficient; or should I buy better elsewhere?

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Nick

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know bumping is against the rules, but I was really hoping that somebody would share lessons learned or offer some structural advice to ensure years more trouble free riding. Hope everybody is enjoying the season.

cheers

Nick

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
If the holes are oversize then new rivets will not stay tight. I would get some small 3/16 bolts and backer washers an put those in the worn holes. If you get self locking nuts they will stay tight and are stronger than rivets. Cut any extra bolt off if it sticks through the nut so it doesn't hook on anything.
Also easier to put in if you don't have a rivet gun.
Good Luck

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
erick said:
If the holes are oversize then new rivets will not stay tight. I would get some small 3/16 bolts and backer washers an put those in the worn holes. If you get self locking nuts they will stay tight and are stronger than rivets. Cut any extra bolt off if it sticks through the nut so it doesn't hook on anything.
Also easier to put in if you don't have a rivet gun.
Good Luck
hey that is a great Idea and sounds like allot more fun than hand pulling stainless rivets. Do you believe there a need for using grade 8 material for bolts on this kind of application?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
You could probably get away with grade 5 coated bolts. I would imagine they are plenty strong enough for the job.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A++ small bolts, washers and self locking nuts are awesome. I used a pneumatic die grinder with a cut off wheel to trim long bolts after installed. I also used the bolts to re-secure a few points in the tunnel coolers. Thanks for the advice. Happy sledding!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts