Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Some where I am losing anti-freeze. The other day I filled the res. tank up, took it around the field, and when I got back it looked like it leaked out at the top of the tank, overflow tube. I heard maybe a bad cap. Not realising the proper pressure.

2. When I hit the gas and the track spins, skis come up a little then I hear a very bad sound come from the machine. I can't tell where it is coming from. I was thinking bad belt? or it is just because it is digging down to the rocks in the dirt. If I try to grass drag it, the skis come way up then it makes a real bad sound to and the skis come right back down. What I was thinking was buying a new belt and if it still does it change the hole that the clutch spring is in. Some one tuned it to the fourth hole. but then it was really bad. I moved it to the last(fith hole and it got better.)

3. Loose recoil cover. I tightend the top 2, worked for a little while, then worked loose again.

4. does 90-95 in about 200-250 yard field.

Sled has 144 picks, clutch kit, ufo's in carbs. 3500 miles. almost new drive clutch.
What u all think!?!?!?!?

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
picks are probably hitting the bulkhead or tunnel. That is prolly the noise you hear. Or just crap getting in there. Do you have any snow or did you take that 200-250 yard run on grass? if grass then there prolly isn't a lot of lubrication to help them skis slip along. And your slides are prolly wearing out doing that which would slow you down a bit if they are melting as you are running. Recoikl cover sorry nothing to tell you. Can you see coolant anywhere? If just the top of the res I would replace the cap and see what happens.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Check your track tension, sounds like it might be slipping on the drive sprockets. I don't think that the belt would cause the noise you are hearing. I would agree with the comments made about the heat exchanger getting hit by the picks, expecially if the track is loose. Look for colant on the bulkhead heat exchanger.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree with the loose track. As for the bolts coming loose, one word - Locktite. I use blue on every (and I mean every) nut and/or bolt on the sled. The extreme vibrations make even torqued bolts work their way loose over time. Locktite is a little insurance to keep that 300 mile ride from turning in to a 4 hour trailside repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts