Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It will do that if you only have 1 or 2 cylinders firing.

Your either not getting spark, or air. My vote would be that your not getting air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All have spark, all make smoke, it seems to diesel after i hit the kill switch hit gas it flood's, mabe wires are wrong ?

i mean it blow's gas while running and keep's running with switch off hafta hit gas with switch off and flood to stop i don't think it's the cdi box because it blow's gas for like 10 minutes running, i havent run for longer because of fire hazard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol all 3 plug's have spark and ther's a big puddle of gas under it that came out the mufler, i herd all three plug's fire at the same time, is this true? witch dosent really make sence to me it'l piss gas for as long as ya let it run. when ya turn the key off it keep's running "dieseling" (firing from heat + compresson not spark)

i just read your last post again thought u ment no spark not no air i'l yank the boot's offa the carb's rubberband sock's on em to check if it is i'l stick k&n's on em thank's for the idea i hate that airbox anyway lol ..Rick..

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Originally posted by king_butt_head
[br]lol all 3 plug's have spark and ther's a big puddle of gas under it that came out the mufler, i herd all three plug's fire at the same time, is this true? witch dosent really make sence to me it'l piss gas for as long as ya let it run. when ya turn the key off it keep's running "dieseling" (firing from heat + compresson not spark)

i just read your last post again thought u ment no spark not no air i'l yank the boot's offa the carb's rubberband sock's on em to check if it is i'l stick k&n's on em thank's for the idea i hate that airbox anyway lol ..Rick..
Ok...

All 3 cylinders do [limegreen]NOT [/limegreen]fire at the same time. There is NO firing order per-say. One spark plug fires every 120 degrees of crank rotation. With that said: You can hook whatever plug wire you want, to what ever spark plug you want.

There is no way the sled is "dieseling". The ZRT lacks the extreme compression that it would take to make it do that. Diesel motors generally see pressures up to 3000-4500psi to make it fire. The ZRT is only around 130-140 for a new engine. Your not running a diesel motor are you?[?]

If the sled is not shutting off when you turn the key take a look at my post on this thread: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59213 You have a problem with your CDI, Kill Switches, or your main wire harness.

Now back to the fuel. Is is a puddle? What cylinder(s) is it coming from? While the sled is running put your hand down by the pipes. When you find the one that is spewing the gas let me know. Is it all of them or just one? You either are not firing on that side or you are running so rich that it can't burn all of the fuel in the cylinder.

·
Registered
482 Posts
start it up, touch each cylinder and header pipe, the one that is still cold after a couple minutes is not firing. try some new plugs.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by sledhead907
[br]
Now back to the fuel. Is is a puddle? What cylinder(s) is it coming from? While the sled is running put your hand down by the pipes. When you find the one that is spewing the gas let me know. Is it all of them or just one? [red]You either are not firing on that side or you are running so rich that it can't burn all of the fuel in the cylinder. [/red]

seen this on a sled just last week, the fuel adjustment screw was about three turns more than needed!

·
Registered
764 Posts
be careful with that one , i burnt my 800 zrt down this year, not with the same problem, but anything like that scares the hell out of me now

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thank's guy's all great advice. only one pipe is geting hot switch plug wires it moved but all 3 have spark and all 3 blow fuel out mufler. continues to run after warmed up if it's cold it shut's off with the switch.

wow that thing is fast i just ran it for a couple lap's around the yard in the grass and it ran great for a couple minutes all 3 pipes got hot but again i had to park it and shut it off real fast lota smoke i think it almost burned. the first time it did it was in my garage i almost had a heart atack hooked a chain to it and drug it out with my truck in like 5 seconds. mabe my float's are sticky ?

just ran it again had small fire when i stoped, it kept running again. but i checked and the kill switches are working, no spark when either or bolth are off and i have spark on all three plug'[s when bolth are on so it is "dieseling" , (runing without spark) when hot, i'm geting plunty of air to the carb's wheelied the damn thing for a good 200 feet

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I don't know about the ZRT, but on my Poo 650 Triple, all three spark plugs DO fire at the same time. They each fire three times per revolution, one of the firings will fire the fuel charge in the cylinder, the other two are "lost". On that engine, that is why you can put any wire on any cylinder and it will run just fine. Each cylinder fires one time per revolution, 120 degrees apart, but each plug fires 3 times in the process.

Sounds to me like you have a sticky float or bad inlet needle/seat that is giving you way too much gas and when you stop, it's flooding.

The engine could be running on after the ignition is shut down because of hot particles firing the fuel charge...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
probaly need to take carbs off and clean them ,also check the needles and seats

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can almost guarantee that your chokes are either misadjusted or seized. Remove the choke plungers from the carbs and clean them if there's gunk on them. If they look ok adjust them down so that they fully seat when you turn choke lever off.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think we have at least covered the fact that these triples use a "waste spark" system, where all 3 fire at the same time. 2 out of the 3 sparks are "wasted" at any given time.

How old is the gas? have you put any water remover or anything in it? gas just isnt the same these days.

when you removed the plugs what did they look like??? black and oily would mean too rich(which is probably what youve got) and white and dry would be too lean, which is bad too.

we're gonna need a little more history here too, like did the sled drive normally last year? or was it not even driven in the last few years? did you just buy it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the sled in the shop just now to yank the carb's and for the first time it wouldnt shut off while cold, pisin gas out the mufler still runnin, yanked the mag plug wire it shut right off, but when i test it with all 3 plug's out and the switch off i have no spark at all, would a bad cdi do this while running? Think i have 2 problems carbs and electrical?

I bought the sled in october new motor, new primary clutch, new gas, while the motor was out i yanked the float bowels eavrything looked good they looked in sync, so i sprayed with carb cleaner then wd assembled and put motor in. ran great after the 2 stroke was outa the gas still ran great the only oopsie was i didnt check the choke plunger's and i left the gas petcock on for bout 2 day's next time i tried to start after leaving gas on it started doing this

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
well on these one coil fires one plug the other fires 2 which one is it ??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2 wire coil

Hey does anybody know ware the screws that hold the airbox in are i got the dash out and a set of uni filters on order, can't take workin around it anymore lol

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
that airbox is just stuck in there ,get hold of it and give it a good yank ,no screws

1 - 19 of 19 Posts