Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 zrt600, leaking from the weep hole at the bottom of the waterpump.

has anyone dealt with this before? there are 2 seals on the waterpump driveshaft, i was thinking of just replacing these and see what happens. i had the cover and impeller off, there doesn't seem to be much play in the shaft, so i think the bushing is good still.

anyone know how to get the shaft out to replace the seals??

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Thats a common problem for that sled. I fixed mine after it did it.

1. Remove waterpump cover (I had to use an impact hammer)
2. Replace gasket with new one and goop it up
3. Install waterpump cover with socket head cap screws (cat was retarded for putting in them phillup head screws!)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've already had the cover off before. I've already gone through those screws and replaced them with hex head bolts.

the cover seal is already replaced by myself. it isn't leaking from the cover. it's leaking from the weep hole, which i've read means the seal behind the impeller is leaking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The weep hole your talking about, is that the 17mm plug which u slide a hose onto to drain the coolant? If it is, drain the collant and behind that drain plug theres supposed to be a little ribber o-ring maybe replace that if there isnt one in there or replace if it isnt in good shape. Experienced that problem before that fixed it for us

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by mnstang
[br]it's leaking from the weep hole, which i've read means the seal behind the impeller is leaking.
You are correct. Most likely coolant is leaking into the crank now with that seal being shot, which can mean big problems if you don't take care of it right away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
it likely wont leak into the crank,there is still an oil seal behind all the water pump seals which keeps the oil in the case halvesand a vent between the oil seal and water pump if i remember correctly

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I just did this to my buddy's zr 500. You MUST replace the impeller too, and the seals. Make sure you get those sealed up good. carefully tap it in with a socket and a small hammer. You won't have to take thew shaft off. Good luck, if you have any ?'s at all PM and I will help you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the weep hole i'm talking about is on the underside of the block, you can't see it in the sled without a mirror. it's the hole between the coolant seal and the oil seal.

i took it all back apart yesterday and got the seal out, new one should be here tomorrow.

i know there is an updated plastic impeller, but is it really a must do thing? looks like the seal also comes with that white piece in the backside of the impeller.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Greg H is right about the coolant getting into your base. Don't ride until it's fixed and always keep an eye on that weep hole. Coolant on counter balance and running engine can be very expensive. This tends to be a problem on these triples worthy of close attention.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm not riding it, it's all torn apart right now. new seal should be here today.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
yeah, it comes witht that white piece. Like I said before be VERY careful not to tear it when you put it in, it is easy to do:) It is a good idea to replace the impeller cause the hole that the shaft slides inot gets qworn on them and that is usually why they start to leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 1997 600 zrt with 12000 miles on it leaked.Probably since around 8000 miles I tried sealing it up with no luck.The only thing I didn't change was the shaft.My leak was out the weep hole also.I was told to change the shaft but never did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts