Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My zrt is having this intermittent problem that it won't shut off sometimes, actually most of the time now.

I hit the kill switch, shut the key off, pull the tether... by doing any one of those things, it does make an audible difference, like it is at least cutting off 1 cylinder, but not all.

the only thing i can think that it is, is the cdi box. i don't have a service manual, but i believe that is what shuts the sled off right?? i think the kill switches are good because it does make a difference when you hit them.

it might be unrelated, but i 1st noticed this when i went out for a quick ride last week, and i didn't get the coolant cap on all the way, so a bunch spilled out, and i did notice a little coolant on the box itself, and when all this happened i went to turn it off and that was the 1st time it wouldn't turn off.

and, are there any better years to get for more aggressive cdi boxes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The antifreeze spill is part of the problem. It got into your electrical connections. Get some dialectric silicone from NAPA or Shucks and put it on every electrical connection you can find. Disconnect and dry off each one before you put a dab on every one. You can't put them back together wrong. The most important one is the square 4 prong plug coming out of the motor by the stator. The connection going to the CDI is important also. Don't buy a new box yet.
While you're at it, clean the connection between your truck and trailer lights and dab some dialectric in there, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with the above.Had the same problem one evening with my 1996 ZRT .After splashing through a stream a few times it wouldnt shut off. Next day I dried out the main square electrical block under the antifreeze container and it was fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips guys!

i checked the connections, they were all very dry. although i took the box out and there is antifreeze up by the box right where the wires go into it, looks like it might have got in the box itself. so i have the box in the oven now at 150 degrees, probably leave it in for a couple hours and try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, drying out the cdi box didn't help any, still won't shut off.

does anybody know how the kill switch system works??? does it shut off the cdi, or does it shut off the magneto/stator?

it did also seem to get some coolant down where the timing mark hole is, and i know the stator and all that is in there.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Replace your CDI seems like the next solution.

From the manual:
[galleryattach=13571]

However...BEFORE replaceing the expensive CDI unit, conduct this test:
[galleryattach=13572]

It's either your CDI, Switches (not likely as none of them will shut the sled off) or the main wire harness.

Let me know what happens when you do the test. If needed i'll scan you some more instructions if you need to change the wire harness, or CDI.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had this problem check the wires down by the gas shutoff. mine was a purple wire that got unconnected to a purple and black wire. so check that before you buy a new cdi.[limegreen][/limegreen]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thanks for the help guys.. I did buy a used cdi to try, i only paid $30 for it so it wasn't a big deal, but that did NOT fix it. it would do the same thing still.
I was out messing around with it just now and looking at the wiring more.. then i noticed there were 2 four-wire connectors coming from the stator, the other one was kinda hidden down under the carb. checked that one, it did have a little junk on the pins.. cleaned the pins with a scotchbrite pad and that fixed it!

thanks for the help and thanks sledhead for posting some manual pages. now all i need is SNOW! don't know if that is even going to happen anywhere that i ride this year. :(

and now i have a good test/backup cdi box.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Originally posted by mnstang
[br]well thanks for the help guys.. I did buy a used cdi to try, i only paid $30 for it so it wasn't a big deal, but that did NOT fix it. it would do the same thing still.
I was out messing around with it just now and looking at the wiring more.. then i noticed there were 2 four-wire connectors coming from the stator, the other one was kinda hidden down under the carb. checked that one, it did have a little junk on the pins.. cleaned the pins with a scotchbrite pad and that fixed it!

thanks for the help and thanks sledhead for posting some manual pages. now all i need is SNOW! don't know if that is even going to happen anywhere that i ride this year. :(

and now i have a good test/backup cdi box.
Good job[:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts