Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting ready to pull apart the chain case to see what gearing i have what oil should i put back in there the manual calls for transmission lube but isn't very specific on what kind ?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
You can use ATF fluid or use arctic cat chaincase lube/any other sled specific chaincase lube.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Your gearing will either be 24/39 or 23/40.
I'm pretty sure the 96 ZRT had the 24/39 gear's.
ATF will work just fine, and it's a lot cheaper than the specialized oil's.
I've been using ATF in all My sled's for years, with no problem's.

Rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
found out the gearing it has 22/41 gearing how much different is this from stock the oil that was in it was black and had the consistency off grease i dont think it was ever changed

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sound's like someone was gearing it for a quicker launch.
Like I said above the original gearing in the ZRT's was either 24/39, or 23/40.
I've seen ZRT's with both set's as original.
The 24/39 will give you a bigger top end speed, the 23/40 will give you the quicker launch.

At 22/41 I'd say someone had geared it for 600 ft drag's at some time.

Rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't know much about the clutches on snowmobiles bet the secondary has a solid yellow spring and the primary has a yellow spring with a green stripe the sled launched right around 5000 and peaked out at 8300 it seemed to launch hard but it seemed like a turd threw the power band but top end was pretty good i didn't run a GPS put the needle on the speedometer hit the T on arctic cat but when i tore everything apart the carbs were out of adjustment and all three cylinders were under 100psi so hopefully after i freshen up the top end she will scream

·
Registered
129 Posts
synthetic 80w90 gear oil for chaincase. Nice and thick and won't leak out as easy as other viscosity oils. I suspect thats what was in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it did almost smell like burnt gear lube but the smell was so bad that when i pulled it apart and i got a good wif it took the breath right out of me and thats all i can smell now !'[xx(]'

1 - 12 of 12 Posts